Sunday, April 13, 2014

Flora of the High Desert

When my brother and his wife visited the end of March, we took a drive to Tortilla Flat for lunch and then several miles beyond, searching for blooming cacti and flowers. We were not disappointed. I am posting my favorites.

Do you see the bugs on the prickly pear flower on the left?


Another prickly pear flower


Sunlight on the hedgehog flowers


Such a pretty desert color


The fairy duster


Light and airy and so much prettier than the dandelion


A REAL desert poppy
What a treat to find this singular flower!


Not sure, but I think a desert daisy


Very springlike
I wonder if my flowers are responding to spring back home?


This poppy is not at all like the Mexican poppies we sometimes
see along the roads in our AZ area. They grow in 'clumps'.

The poppy was my highlight of that road trip.

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments!