Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Avon

No, not Avon SD. Avon, like door-to-door sales and order from a catalog.

I grew up with Avon products and merchandise. My mother would order now and then from a woman in our community. It was a way to have beauty products on hand when getting to a drugstore was not possible. When acne found me as a teenager, I used some Avon products to try and rectify the horror of teenage pimples. I don't remember that it worked all that well.

When I began teaching in a small community, like my mother, I ordered from the Avon lady. Jewelry, perfume, and other products because trips to a drugstore weren't daily or weekly happenings. Our nearest 'city' was 70 miles away.

When we moved to H20town in 1975, Curt transferred to a local National Guard unit and through the Guard Auxiliary, I met Judy, an Avon sales rep. Judy would stop at the house for a few minutes, chat and leave the sales brochures for the month. If I wanted something, I would call her home and place my order. She would return one or two weeks later with the products and more brochures.

Judy always looked like a million dollars. Her hair was washed and styled at a shop. Her makeup was perfection. She often wore dresses and high heels. She would be sporting the newest Avon jewelry or perfume. Sometimes, she brought the newest products to show her customers and entice them/me to buy. Over the years she knew what each of her customers preferred and she catered to those needs and wants. I remember her showing beer steins, Christmas ornaments and decorating items. I never felt pressured to buy any of the products. I bought Avon things because I liked them; it was and is a good company with good products.

Judy was a petite, busty, plus-size woman. When Avon started to sell clothes, it was a bonus to ask her if something might fit me, because of our similar body attributes. She was always honest and usually, accurate.

Only once as far as I know, Avon sold a terry cloth shower wrap. It was available in several sizes, including a size for a busty woman. I don't remember if it came in a color other than white. I ordered one based on Judy's size recommendation. I liked it so much I ordered a second, to "have on hand". I have worn the Avon white terry cloth shower wrap for 20+ years. It is a bit ratty, but I like it so much, I can not bear to part with it.


Before Christmas Target advertised a terry shower wrap for $10. I searched all over the local store looking for the shower wrap. Finally, after asking for some assistance, I found them and bought two. I brought them home and tried one on. No way was that bit of patterned terry cloth able to cover my body. They went back to the store. And the hunt continued...online. I found a company that promised their product was a plus-size. I ordered it in blue to compliment my eyes. (Like anyone is going to see me in my shower wrap!) It arrived in two days. (Isn't Amazon amazing?)


It is a heavier terry cloth material, has a two-inch elastic band, and does cover my body. I just haven't decided if I am ready to toss the old white ratty one.


There is one other item that I think I got through Avon many years ago. If it didn't come from Avon, I apologize to all the Avon reps who might be reading this. This item is also older than dirt and has become my new best friend.


I have used the lighted, magnifying make-up mirror off and on over the years. It was very handy when I broke my ankle and my leg and could not stand for 3 months. Hubby used it this fall for shaving when he was unable to stand at a bathroom sink.

After my facial hair experience last month, I decided maybe I should use the lighted, magnifying mirror when examining my face. This topic has been a conversation item at some of my meetings and gatherings lately. Some women just don't understand the need or concern and others give advice. This tool will be making the trip to AZ this month. It was amazing what I could see with the magnifying lighted mirror, especially after thinking I had plucked and tweezed all the embarrassing facial offenders. 


I have no idea if the product is sold anywhere, anymore. I am glad I had mine tucked away on the top shelf, in the corner, of the linen closet.

Although Judy has retired as an Avon rep, I continue to use some of their products; items I prefer over other brands and companies.  I now purchase the items at a market/swap meet. Walk in, pick up what I want and need, pay the cashier and I am on my way. My kind of shopping!

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting commentary on how things have changed over the years. It used to be that we were willing to wait two weeks for an item to arrive and it was often hand delivered. We also were careful about our car trips back then - even though gas was $0.29 per gallon! Now we live in a society where we drive all over and expect to get our orders in two days (including me). There was something nice about the more laid back times.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!