Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Yuma Prison Museum

Okay, this will be the last Yuma post, for this year. These photos have also been in my blog folder waiting for public viewing.

I found the Prison Museum to be very interesting because we had found what we believed to be an overnight prisoner way station tucked away in the nearby mountain. Check out that blog post here. Also, through geocaching, I learned of some infamous characters who earned their reputation in this area of AZ and were sent to the Yuma prison. Check that out here: Pearl Hart.


(1871-1956)


I realize I have not read the book about Pearl Hart
as I thought I would back in 2012




Colt .45 "Peacemaker" owned by Pearl Hart


If I remember right, Pearl robbed the stagecoach passengers of $341, 
returning $1 to each passenger.
I also remember hearing she was a favorite of the guards & reporters while incarcerated. 
Her story is interesting enough to check-out on Wikipedia
or here at Old West Legends









Hobart's knitted lace is beautiful.




Also made by Hobart




In the the previous Yuma post, I mentioned the prison was the high school for two years when the high school burned and until the new building was ready. In 2012 when Arizona celebrated its 100th statehood birthday, I read about Zona Cooper. This information was also in the Prison Museum.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!