Thursday, May 5, 2016

Science or Art?

So this is going to be a health-related post, boring to many and thankfully, without photos. That was your warning.

While geocaching in NV I had an angina attack. This was not the first one I have had. In fact, I didn't know what I had (maybe once a year, usually after eating fast food) had a name. In the past the attacks usually lasted an hour, at the most, and were relieved with over the counter antacid tablets. This attack lasted longer and the usual remedies did not seem to help. I felt fine the next morning. For the first time ever, I had another small attack the next day. So Hubby and I started talking and trying to 'diagnosis' the cause. Gluten? Maybe? So I decided to go gluten-free for the rest of the day. The next day, I was quite careful; egg whites, spinach, tomato, two slices of bacon. Another attack. This one severe enough we drove through Utah to reach Grand Junction CO; a community with a good-sized hospital and emergency room...if necessary. It wasn't as the pains and cramps finally subsided by 9 pm. Amazing, but I did sleep well as I had all the other nights.

While driving across UT, Hubby and I had more discussions about what is causing the attacks. I remembered a comment made by the reflexologist just two weeks ago. That led to some online research.

Reflexologist? The massage therapist at our winter resort offers reflexology as one of her options. I had talked to her about my hesitancy with a reflexology session. She had been working an area on my right foot which led to the discussion in 2015. We agreed that I would try a session this season. Since our AZ stay was around 3 months again, I booked a reflexology/massage session the last week in March. She worked my feet and found the thyroid area which led to a discussion of my thyroid cancer and the removal of the thyroid. Then she worked awhile longer and asked if I was having problems with my gall bladder. Me? Nah! She said eat more fresh fruits and veggies. Avoid fat. OK.

So while traveling across picturesque UT, that little comment jiggled around in my head. Research.

Below are common symptoms of gallbladder conditions:
  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Pain that may extend beneath the right shoulder blade or to the back
  • Pain that worsens after eating a meal, particularly fatty or greasy foods
  • Pain that feels dull, sharp, or crampy
  • Pain that increases when you breathe in deeply
  • Chest pain (angina)
  • Heartburn, indigestion, and excessive gas
  • A feeling of fullness in the abdomen
  • Vomiting, nausea, fever
  • Shaking with chills
  • Tenderness in the abdomen, particularly the right upper quadrant
  • Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)
  • Stools of an unusual color (often lighter, like clay)
So 9 of the 13 symptoms are probably a good indicator the gall bladder is full of stones and not doing its job. To survive the rest of the trip home, I ate crackers and drank 7-Up. I called my GP on Monday while driving in rainy NE and got an appointment for 9AM Tuesday morning. A short discussion led to an ultrasound. Yep. Gallbladder full of stones. Met with the surgeon on Wednesday. Laparoscopic gallbadder surgery on Monday, April 25th.  
I am doing well; healing nicely. I have been told to stay on a soft diet. Soft diet???? Jello. Potatoes. Chicken Noodle soup. Eggs. Fresh fruit. I sort-of went off the soft diet on the weekend. Bad decision. 24 hours of major discomfort. I am back on jello, potatoes, chicken noodle soup & eggs. No dairy. No legumes. No broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower. No fats. No chocolate. Lean meat, but very little of it. No major fiber foods. I will survive because I have been through the worst.
So back to the title of this blog. Science or Art? Reflexology, toe ticklers, whatever the name, I am now among the legions of believers. She nailed it.
Oh, I do have the DVD of my gallbladder surgery, should you ever want to see it. The docs no longer give a jar of the stones to the patient. Bummer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!