Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spring in SD

It is a beautiful April here in SD. The lawns are green, the trees are leafing and the early spring flowers are in full bloom. Two years ago we had a weekend blizzard yet to come! So today there are pictures from my perennial flower bed. I love coming home in April to see what has survived the winter and to see the first colors of spring.



These pasques are on the downside of their blooming time. They are usually the first sign of blooming spring flowers in the pastures. Their feathery stems and petals give them a delicate look.


This is the first tulip to bloom in my flower bed. I see the rabbits enjoyed quite a number of the tulips that peeked through the soil. There are a few more budding tulips the rabbits did not get, so there should be more color before the poppies show their scarlet flowers.


This is a new plant to my flower bed. It is a white pasque. I was very happy to see it survived the winter and the rabbits. It will probably open its blossoms on the weekend while we are gone. The flowers look smaller and more delicate than the purple pasque in the first picture. I guess I will have to check it daily to see the changes.

I won't get to the weeding and cleaning of the flower bed until next week. Hope the lovely April weather will continue. (It is more like May weather, than April weather.) A friend and I did go out of town yesterday and visit two greenhouses. Yes, I know, it is too early to plant flowers. But I will say, the new varieties of flowers were gone from both greenhouses. People have the "itch" to plant their flowers early and have bought what they like.

So, I also bought flowers for one planter. I coordinated their colors, looked at differing heights, and selected flowers and plants with similar sunlight requirements. I have never, NEVER, bought flowers like that before. In the past-several geraniums, colors I liked, and chose some petunias or trailing something to fill in and add contrast. Easy. Cheaper. Quick. So, I am really itching to dig in the dirt and begin to put my new planter together. But I know it's too early. I will just have to baby them along for at least a couple of weeks and check the Farmer's Almanac! And you will have to wait til May to see yesterday's careful and thoughtful purchases!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!