Friday, May 14, 2010

Perennial Flower Bed

I think I mentioned my perennial flower bed in an earlier post, probably the end of April. I was so pleased to see the flowers that had survived the winter and the rabbits. I had purchased this white pasque plant last spring but did not remember much about the flowers it produced as it probably bloomed for a short time last spring.

The plant has been blooming for more than a week. You can see we've had some hard rains as the white petals are dirty.

Today I realized the flower really opens and is larger than I remembered. It is a perfect compliment to the purple pasque (the SD state flower) which blooms several weeks earlier. I 'de-headed' the purple pasque as the flowers passed their prime and today I found it has some new flowers. It will bloom longer than I thought, if the dying blooms are pinched off, just like many other flowering plants.

The two rocks on the right are from the Adriatic Sea off the coast of Patras, Greece. I found three interesting rocks when I walked along the beach, put them in my suitcase and brought them back with me. That was before 911 and extra fees for overweight luggage!

The one spot of color in the perennial garden right now is another tulip, just one. The rabbits raised havoc on so many of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!