Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tomato Pie

CV friend, Marge posted this photo of her culinary skills on Sunday.


I am a visual cook. I love to look at pictures of recipes. This tomato pie looks scrumptious. Marge gladly passed along the recipe and since I have an abundance of Roma tomatoes right now, I made tomato pie for dinner last night. Needless to say, my pie did not look as beautiful as Marge's pie. So I'm using her photo.

We ate the pie warm and agreed it tasted like an entree from our favorite Italian restaurant. But by today the crust was soggy, so I decided on a Tomato Pie remake.


I used about half of the other roll of pie dough and lined two single serving bakeware dishes and baked the dough. Then I scooped out the leftover tomato pie filling from last night's pie and filled the two new pie shells. I grilled one chicken breast sprinkled with Italian seasonings; divided it in half and cubed it. I put the warm chicken pieces on top of the tomato filling and sprinkled a bit of Parmesan cheese on top. I popped the dishes back into the warm oven, just long enough to melt the cheese while I finished putting together our lunch.

Tomato Pie remake was even better the second day! We liked it at 'room temperature' rather than hot out of the oven. We liked that it had the chicken as it provided another dimension and became the main dish, rather than a side. The spices and topping from the original recipe were perfect.

Thanks Marge & Susan for providing a tasty, new dish to add to our more conscious healthy cooking & eating list of culinary delights!

3 comments:

  1. Very resourceful, Coleen. I like your "second time around" idea for the remaining Fresh Tomato Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very tasty! Thanks again for the recipe & photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really good! Smart thinking on the individual servings. Marge is spot-on, very resourceful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!