Thursday, November 6, 2014

Biopsy Saga, Part 3

I write and think best late at night, when the house is quiet and Hubby is in bed. My writing class 'students' know this to be true. The blog followers know as many posts appear after midnight. I have been thinking, pondering really, how I was going to write this one, part 3 of our saga. I certainly wasn't ready on Sunday, like I thought I would be. I was ready on Monday, but I am glad I waited until today, as I now have more information.

I have cancer. I never thought I would say those three words. I don't suppose anybody thinks they will. I especially did not think I would say them at age 64. Cancer is something that happens to other people. Cancer is something that happens to older people. But cancer does and can happen to anyone. It happened to me. I uttered, or muttered, "I have cancer" to friends who stopped by to check on us Monday morning. Until then, the words were rolling around in my head, but had not had the balls to actually come out, for anyone to hear. I was almost shocked when they did as I wasn't sure I was ready to hear them. If I hear them, then it must be true. If I said them, then I accept them; like a 12 step program...I have cancer.

The surgeon called this morning to say the pathology report came back for the left thyroid. It also had a cancerous nodule, less than 2 millimeters in size and much smaller (less than 2 centimeters) than the right side nodule. I am thankful he wanted to remove both sides last weekend.

The endocrinologist has called with the timeline for treatment. It certainly is a doable 7 week schedule. Paperwork will be coming, but for now, here is the simple time frame.

This week, take 1000mg of Tums, 3 times a day
Starting Friday, take a thyroid replacement pill
Dec. 3 begin iodine-free diet
Dec. 15th lab work and iodine (radioactive) treatment
Dec. 16th body scan 24 hrs. after radioactive treatment
In quarantine, in the basement of the house, for several days
Dec. 23rd follow-up body scan to check on any left-over cancer cells

It might be a wee bit more involved than I am making it sound, but gee...taking a pill, following a diet, 3 trips to Sioux Falls, and living in the basement for a few days...I can do that!

This is the website recommended by the endocrinologist: ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association, Inc

Another site is from the Mayo Clinic 
and another  Thyroid Cancer: Facts on Staging, Treatments, and Prognosis

More information than you probably wanted, but one never knows when it might be useful. After all, I never expected to be looking at them...

Oh, and another selfie to show how good I look after two surgeries.


The surgeon said he put the incision in a 'natural' neck fold. He had several from which to choose! The only discomfort I have is from the tightening of the skin along the incision. It is beginning to 'itch' a bit. Unfortunately, the surgeon did not heed my request to tuck a little extra away, inside, since he was in that area. After I looked at the photo, I noticed all the chin hairs. See Judy...I have enough for both of us!


 Get your neck checked.
Hugs to you all!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about all of your problem but this will pass. You will be back to your regular routine before you know it. Our prayers go out to you and Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your neck looks pretty good, considering. Glad you have such a good sense of humor. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coleen.......I enjoy reading your blog and the last few posts are so inspiring. I am so sorry for all that has Happened to you and Curt......I just know that you are going to be leading the "pack" of survivors at CV......I pray that the Lord's Choicest Blessing be with you and Curt as you both travel paths to good health once again.

    Fondly, Linda Booker

    ReplyDelete
  4. A positive additude is so very important. You are strong & know you will do well. Keeping you in our prayers.
    Carol & LeRoy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!