Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Hubby's Progress

When I met with the orthopedic surgeon at 9:47 that Thursday evening (10/30), he was as tired as I. I was stressing because I could not find my room key for the hotel. I had left the car in the emergency entrance parking lot and was now on the second floor, surgery waiting room, of a campus-sized hospital, and not totally confident I could find the van. I was stressing because I needed to get Hubby's phone and computer to him or his room yet that night as I was not sure when I would next see him. I wanted Hubby to have his phone, so my surgeon could talk to him after my surgery the next day. Needless to say, the post-surgery conference was not one of my most "with-it" conversations.

When the doc said non-weight bearing right leg for 2 months, my brain and mouth said "knee scooter?" He looked at me and repeated, NON-WEIGHT BEARING RIGHT LEG for TWO MONTHS, walker or crutches. But why can't he use a scooter? He took a deep breath and patiently explained how Hubby would be putting weight on his knee if he were to use a scooter. Finally, something clicked. OK. Non-weight bearing right leg for 2 months. Crutches or Walker. We'll deal with it.

For the next two days, any time I saw Hubby, he was in a wheel chair. He talked about his OT and PT regime two times each day, and the exercises he was doing on his own. He shared how he had purchased a walker and was getting along quite well. He had a plan for getting in and out of the house. (We have 3 steps at one door and 2 at the other door.) He felt he had everything under control.

I was not too concerned as we had dealt with my total non-weight bearing in 2007. I figured all the tricks we had learned and used that summer would come in handy when we got to our non-handicap friendly home. They have.



This was his location after the hip replacement surgery last month and will continue to be until we are told otherwise. I was just getting used to the idea of having the TV remote to myself when Hubby decided to take it back. This weekend he started using the couch as a second location. It is nice to have options.

On Friday we had our first outing, for doctor appointments. Hubby easily maneuvered the walker through the garage door and the one high step to get to the car. He went backwards, up that high step to get back in the house. Now that we have snow, it is a good plan. A neighbor helped install a handrail along the garage wall for another security measure.

Hubby's original plan was for a ramp; not very practical for a walker because of it's steep incline. Using the garage door wasn't part of our early planning either, but it works well.

We also bought a shower/tub extended bench. Taking a shower is easy and stress free. He shaves, when he shaves, seated at the kitchen table. That's OK as we don't eat at the kitchen table very often right now.

We plan to rent a wheel chair which will allow us to go to restaurants and a few other places. Hubby got pretty tired just walking from the elevator to the waiting room in the clinic on Friday. A wheel chair will give us a little freedom over the next two months...7 weeks now, 6 on Friday!

We had some company Friday evening.


Our DIL stopped by with Miss W and Mcbe. We thought it important for them to see us at home. Even Rocco got to visit. Is he sitting on the couch????



Listening to a story, sitting on G'pa's LEFT leg



Great G'Ma was also at our house for a visit last weekend





They were rather upset with me as the toy box was moved to the basement since their last visit. They went downstairs and played for a bit, but the living room was still the room of choice. I think the toy box is in the basement to stay. They'll adjust. 




So, Hubby is doing well. He does his exercises 3 times a day, is drinking water and feeling better now that he has discontinued the 'pain pills'. We see the local orthopedic surgeon next week; staples need to be removed. He won't be cooking meals anytime soon, but he can be left at home while I continue to take advantage of my meetings and friends. And life goes on...

1 comment:

  1. Very 'detailed' blog of Hubby! The way you told the story is easy to visualize all that is happening with Curt. GOOD JOB COLEEN, GOOD JOB CURT on getting around! Nice to read all seems cool, calm and collected at your home. I read where you had snow, it is really cold here in Penticton. December 1 is looking good for leaving for Arizona. See lots of 'pics' on face book re CV. Love the little stick people!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!