Thursday, March 12, 2015

St. Anthony's Greek Monastery

Our final road trip with Bill and Donna last week was back to Florence and St. Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery. This was my third visit to this little oasis in the Sonoran desert. For 'history & info' see my post from March 2013. I also noted many of my photos are of the same things. Like I said in an earlier post, if I liked it the first time, it catches my eye again and again. It was 138 photos in March 2013. It was about 75 photos on this trip.


started in 1995
St. Elijah Chapel in the background


St. Elijah Chapel is off limits to visitors
built on a hill outside the monastery visitor's area


another view of St. Elijah Chapel


monastery's main gate


the 3 women in black made certain we were appropriately dressed
I don't know if they are sisters or volunteers
there is no mention of them or their title in either publication
they speak English with a thick Greek accent


long sleeves, long skirts, head scarves
my heels were showing and I was supposed to wear socks
but she didn't give them to me, so I didn't
(my skirt, my long sleeves, their scarf)
(Donna's long sleeves, but their skirt & scarf)


3 caged birds greeted us


the guys in long sleeves & long pants


a pot of pansies in the courtyard


cross on the entrance wall
notice the 3 arm cross engraved in the cross
see the March 2013 post for the meaning of the
3 armed Greek Orthodox cross


St. Anthony's Church
as seen from the courtyard
one of my favorite views 
daily services are conducted in this traditional 
Byzantine style, domed basilica church


icon of the Virgin Mary painted specially for this church
all other icons came from Greece


taking a picture of taking a picture


St. Nicholas' Chapel
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, patron saint of sailors

through a window, through an archway, to the chapel


the ornate fixtures came from Greece


the grapefruit trees were laden with fruit
oranges were picked, lemons were picked


fountain near The Chapel of St. George


brickwork of The Chapel of St. George


detailed wood 


ceiling in The Chapel of St. George


the dome of The Chapel of St. George


more interesting brickwork 
all the icons and furnishings were brought from Greece


outside brick design on The Chapel of St. George
architecture is typical of Romania


The Chapel of St. George
olive groves are near this chapel


table covering from St. Demetrios' Chapel


bees swarming around a wood shingled dome


St. Seraphim's Fountain


blooming hedgehog-type cactus


a view of St. Elijah Chapel
outside the grounds


we are not to take photos of the monks,
but this one had a cell phone and was in the courtyard


one of the 45 monks and novices

Besides prayer and spiritual readings, the monks and novices' tasks include grounds keeping, tending to the various gardens, orchards, and the vineyard, construction, woodworking, publishing, food preparation and offering hospitality.

There were more orthodox visitors on the grounds than I have every noticed before. I know they were of the Greek Orthodox faith because of their dress, all black on the men and black and white on the women including black socks and shoes.  There were also young children, dressed in black, among the visitors.



We stopped at the Greek restaurant in Florence for lunch. I assured Bill they had American food. We continued our road trip after lunch.












1 comment:

  1. Nice to have a tour of the monastery. I think I have been there at least 4 times. Joe's sister Alice has a son-in-law who is from Russia, his job is icon painting. Cute pic with your skirts, long sleeves and kerchief. Sweet!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!