Friday, April 6, 2018

20K ~ A Geocaching Milestone

Last month I had planned for another geocaching event for April 4th. At the time I was thinking along the lines of a regular, end of the season, geocaching event, but a couple of things happened along the way to make it more than a regular meet and greet event.

First, Geocaching Headquarters (GroundSpeak) announced a new contest running March 19-April 8. The theme: Planetary Pursuit.



GroundSpeak announces 'contests' once or twice a year with different themes and focus, urging geocachers to try something different or to mix it up a bit. This time we were encouraged to gather 500 points to earn virtual souvenirs. That means we get nothing but a little badge on our computer geocaching page.


I noticed some of the CV geocachers really getting into the challenge as well as many of the geocachers who attend my events were reaching their goal within the first few days. So I decided to make the April Geo Event a reward to those who have reached the 500 points. I purchased 4 special geocoins for 4 lucky winners.

Then I saw a post from another geocacher from somewhere in the US choosing snacks with a planetary theme. AHHA! Another idea for the April Event.



I stopped at several places looking for treats to fit the theme. Then as more people were signing up for the event, I needed more treats.



I was able to find Sun Chips, Moon Pies (a REALLY big hit) and the Cosmic Brownies. I had a blast trying to find treats to use as door prizes, one for each person attending the event. I thought I had it covered, but was short a couple. I padded the count by 10, but should have padded by 20. Next time.

The other piece that happened along the way was Hubby reaching his 20,000 geocache find. We had been talking about it for a couple of weeks. He would tell me he had it covered. Well, a milestone like 20,000 deserves a photo, a sign, a little hoopla. Well, he did have a plan but didn't share it because he wanted to surprise me.

I had decided on the weekend I would surprise him with a cake to serve to the geocachers attending the April Event. They are our geocaching family. They have placed the caches we have found. They have mentored us in our first years of geocaching. They have geocached with us. They have hosted events we have attended. It would be very appropriate for the group to share in Hubby's milestone.

Early Wednesday afternoon I decided to check Hubby's geo stats and realized he planned to make the April Event his #20,000. That was his surprise to me ~ to honor me and my hosting of events. And because I got him started in this crazy, obsessive, addicting, fun activity. I was/am honored, but his surprise was yet to come...






Mile Hi Travelers helped me pull off the surprise
they brought the cake




some of the CV geocachers


the sign and the photo
and a little surprise hoopla





3 comments:

  1. What a great way to start my day.....reading your blog! As I sat here looking out the window at the falling snow it warmed my heart , I could hear your voice as I read your story. Wonderful!! You and Curt have certainly had a fine time with your geocaching and added bonus, your geo Family. Fun blog, congrats Curt🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful to see and hear about this wonderful milestone. You are the hostess with the mostess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so nice to be able to celebrate with you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!