Friday, October 5, 2018

Restroom Doors

This post idea originated the summer of 2016 (and maybe before) when I questioned how a non-reader would know which restroom was appropriate for their sex. I was thinking about my grandchildren who were just starting to read and the other recognizing letters. If they needed to use a restroom their parents or we might say to them, look for the W or the M. And yes, I most likely would NOT have sent them to a business's restroom by themselves, but we may have if it was a small restaurant and the restrooms were in our eye-sight. I happened to see some restroom signage that summer that got me thinking about this situation. I have been taking photos of interesting restroom doors ever since.

It all started in Colorado...Yes, in an 'adult' establishment, but all the same...how do you know which one is appropriate for your sex???





Honestly, I checked the signage of both doors, before I made my choice. Thankfully, it was the correct choice. (the second photo is STAND-2-P) You can tell where THEY open the door!


Then we went to a family restaurant, also while in CO. Here were the door markings...



At least this time the more common signage was posted on the wall to the side of the doors.


And finally, we stopped at another CO tourist/gaming town and this was the signage. At least they had pictures. The M door would have been confusing to someone looking for the W or the M door.





And one more from that trip. Again no W or M. The wording is clear to an older person, but maybe not so to a beginning reader. And this time, the pictures would not be of any help.





The very best door signage I think I have ever seen was at a donut shop in AZ. Again, this is a family business, often very busy.


I was there with several friends, both male and female, and I asked them if they 'got' the signs on the bathroom doors? I laughed and laughed as some of them looked and looked at the two rolls.



Again, LUCKILY, there was the more common signage on the wall near each door. But again, a couple of them were not certain which door to enter. I knew which one!!!


And finally, Hubby and I were at an 'adult' business this past week, when once again, the restroom door signage was worthy of a cell phone photo.




No doubt this time about which is which, but the two doors did remind me of my photo collection. I realized it was time to blog about them and to get YOU thinking about how confusing the wording may be to early readers, children, non-English speaking, and others. Cute signage? Yes, but...


And finally, I have passed this billboard quite often. It sort of follows the theme of this post.

Protect Your Parts
not signage for an implement dealer! 









2 comments:

  1. What a fun thing to document. I think I like the donuts the best! You know... now I'm going to be looking at the signs more closely when I use the "facilities"! Thanks for the entertainment. BTW, I ordered your book from Amazon last week, it arrived today. A great addition to my winter reading collection this year. Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, Colleen! It brings to mind some of the more interesting and unusual "toilets" I've seen while traveling on Europe. Never thought to capture them on my phone 😊😂 Opportunity missed!! 😏 Thanks for the sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!