Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Cougar on the Mountain

March 20th was the official spring equinox which means it is time to look for the cougar shadow on the Superstition Mountain. I had put a reminder on my calendar beginning Wednesday, but as luck would have it, I was busy on Wednesday and Thursday at sunset. A friend had sent a message on Tuesday evening saying she had seen the shadow and it was perfect! So I was a little worried when Friday rolled around. The sky was cloudless and the air quality wasn't too bad. But...would I be too late?

I left the resort at 6 with the camera, trying to remember which street I had used last year for the viewing. There were LOTS of cars parked along Goldfield road. Lots of cameras, but also lots of lookers.

I found what I hoped was the right hill and parked the car. A dog behind a fence was not very happy to see me hanging out, but it finally realized I meant no harm. He relaxed, but did not leave his post, keeping me in his line of sight.

I took some early photos just to show how very green it is this spring. 

it is green all the way to the top of Flatiron (peak) on the left
and 5057 Peak on the right











The cougar shadow starts appearing about 6:15, but doesn't take shape until about 6:40. In the first photos the shadow looks like a dragon eating someone wearing heels.




gradually the person and the legs and heels are swallowed


and the shape becomes more of a cougar face


this was my first location for photos


orange flowers caught my eye while I waited


horses also kept me company





I moved 1 block north for the final shots
by 7:00 it was all over


I had to get some sunset photos




I lucked out with  perfect conditions to catch the cougar as it appeared on the face of the Superstition Mountain. 

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Coleen, patience is your best friend when you hold your camer in your hands. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!