Thursday, June 7, 2012

Flora & Fauna at Custer State Park, the 3 Bs and More

We have not been to Custer State Park all that often, certainly not every time we go to the Hills. But the times we have driven through, we did NOT see wildlife, not even the bison or burros that call CSP home. That all changed last weekend. We saw both the bison and the burros along the Iron Mountain Road before we actually reached the park. And I added bluebird photos because the little guys were so entertaining.

Cool one lane tunnels. At least three of them along this road.

These are called pigtail bridges. There are at least three of them along Iron Mt. Road.
Peter Norbeck personally walked or road a horse over every inch of this scenic road to help in designing it.


Now for the flora and fauna of Custer State Park, the three Bs and more...

 This was the first large herd of about 30 cows and calves along the road. They did not mind the stopped vehicles or having their pictures taken.

 A momma and her baby. I was pleased that tourist obeyed the signs warning people to stay in their cars as bison are dangerous. At all of our stops, nobody (except me???) got out of the car for photo opportunities. In my defense...they were on the other side of the road and the van was between me and the wild animals. They weren't the least bit interested in people last weekend.


 The burro, only saw this one, was  posing beside the sign. Thank you!


 This is a bull bison. They are not with the herds of cows and calves right now. We saw them in groupings of threes, several different times during the weekend. This big boy has lost most of his winter coat.
We figured this herd numbered about a hundred. It was along the Wildlife loop in early evening.


 This antelope was walking along side the road slowly so I could take the photo, without getting out of the car.


This Mountain Bluebird 'couple' were busy nest building inside BB 71. we watched the momma bird and the poppa bird bring items into the house.


 We had bought some sweet cherries that were not so good and overly ripe. I cleaned & quarted them and put them out for the birds. The robins liked them, but I think the pocket gophers gathered most of the cherry pieces.


 Two male Mountain Bluebirds


 A mountain sheep across the field and road. Thank you 18X zoom lens...


I caught this butterfly resting on one of the bushes along the creek. Is it a Monarch? I guess that makes 4 Bs...


Wild roses scented the air along the creek.


 Wild phlox were abundantly growing along the creek bed. My mother called them purple rockets. I did not know these purple and lavender flowers had another name.


 This tree caught my eye. Wonder how the triangular hole got there?


 And a wild turkey. I asked if the group ever saw wild turkeys in the campground. They told me no, but I saw two in the tall grass when we left the park. When we got back, I grabbed the camera and waited for them to make an appearance. I was rewarded for my patience.


The creek had a little waterfall over the concrete wall. It made for a lovely sound for the cabins and tenters along the creek. We got the field side of the park and more visible wildlife action, I think. We didn't have to worry about ticks on our side either...no trees.

More weekend photos to come...Be patient. I have a busy weekend...

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, did you see wild life or what!!!!!! You must have been very excited. The blue birds sure are beautiful and sooooo blue. Grat blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!