Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Clay in the Garden

I have wanted for several years to take a ceramic class called Clay in the Garden where I could make decor suitable for the outdoors. The class is only offered in May through our summer rec program. In 2007 I broke my ankle and lived at the hospital or nursing home during the time of the class. In 2008 I lived at the Wisconsin Dells for the summer. So the first item on my agenda when I returned home this spring was to register for Laura's class.




The bird bath in the back yard needed replacing. But I wasn't brave enough to try to create a base, so instead built a bowl to replace the cracked one for this base. I had a mold of sorts, but added the texture and ruffled ridge. Finally, last week I was able to glaze the bowl and bring it home Monday morning.


The base will get some matching paint or at least a similar color from a spray can.

These are the green ware pieces for the water fountain I built. The plan was to have 3 layers of "flowers" which when filled with water would dribble to the next lower level and finally to the "bowl base." I bought 2 water pumps, not knowing the final height of my fountain, and several possible bases for water containers.

Laura helped me design the "spout" where the water would flow out onto the flower levels. In the past no one had attempted what I wanted to do. We weren't sure if it would work. That is the small flower with the dome on the top. I built I another top flower for a back up plan.

I brought the glazed pieces home on Monday and in the afternoon assembled the fountain. To my delight, it works! The water bubbles out of the flower center and dribbles down each level of flowers to the base.


I have a plan for my next fountain, next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!