Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Summer Flowers


This is a candy corn vine. My friend told me she found it in town a couple of springs ago but since I haven't been plant shopping in greenhouses for a couple of years, I had not seen it before. I love how its orange flowers have just a touch of yellow on the outer edge.


The flowers are so dainty and hide among the leaves of the vine.


I found this perennial on one of the greenhouse trips I enjoyed this spring. I don't remember its name, but the feathery flowers caught my eye, and because it was a perennial, it had to be part of my flower bed.


I fell in love with the dark purple ivy geranium (named midnight, I think) when I first saw it several years ago. I was really happy to find it once again, as it is one of my favorite flower colors. The lavender miniature petunia-like flowers (can't remember its name either) really enhance the purple color theme in this pot.

This evening primrose has so many blooms, it is stunning. I planted this flower when I created the perennial flower bed four or five years ago. It faithfully survives the SD winters and the summers of non-care. I counted more than 30 buds on the plant. There should be blooms for quite a while.

You may have noticed I don't care so much about the name of the plant. It's color, uniqueness, and eye appeal that gets my attention and a place in the perennial flower bed and outdoor flower pots!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!