Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Clay in the Garden

Again this spring, I participated in the Clay in the Garden class offered through our community Park and Rec program. Last year I made a fountain and the bowl for a bird bath. (look at the postings of last June) Here are this year's creations:


This cylinder will be the base of the bird bath. Someone in last year's class made a very cool bird bath, bowel & base, so I wanted to try it this year. Problem: mine started to slump and fold on its own. Will that work?


There it is fired and glazed to match the bowl I made last year. The base does "lean" a bit, but I think it will still work.


TA DA! It is in place in the back yard, just waiting for the sparrows and finches to come drink and the robins to bathe and poop. It worked better than I expected. It still leans a bit and Curt may have to help come up with a solution. But for now, I'm pleased.


These slabs will be shaped into a narrow rectangular shape and become a water fountain with ripples so water will trickle down the front. I hope...


Not only did I make the fountain, (piece on the right) but I got brave and created a box (piece on the left) that will be the base to hold the water, the pump and the fountain. The pieces were glazed in the same blue as the bird bath to match the other blue ornaments in the back yard. It looks promising, but will it work? Will the water trickle slowly down the front of the rippled fountain?


TA DA!!! It did work. The water gently trickles from the top "bowl" to spill elegantly down the front of the rippled fountain. You can't see the falling water. I tried several different angles to get a photo of the falling water, but just know that it does. And the base??? Holds water. No leaks, no holes. Yahoo!!

I'd like to come up with an idea (that I could actually make) that would fit our desert theme and use on the patio in AZ. I'll have to think about that one.

2 comments:

Thanks for your comments!