Sunday, April 8, 2012

Walnut Canyon in the White Canyon Wilderness

Although I don't hike like I used to prior to the ankle break in 2007, I stay involved with the Canyon Vistas Hiking Club as the secretary/treasurer. I also try to be on the lookout for new and interesting hikes. When I saw Walnut Canyon on a hiking list from another resort, I did some research and found Walnut Canyon as a jeep trip. A couple of the hikers did a scouting trip and agreed it could be a hiking club hike. The group went the end of December when we were in CA. It was such a hit, they went again when more of the hikers arrived at the resort. Again, I was not able to go for some reason, but Curt went and said it was a very good hike. Jerry, one of the hikers liked the canyon so much, he went out four times this year. He also requested we stop at Walnut Canyon when we did our little road trip the end of March. I am so glad we did. We didn't walk far, maybe a quarter of a mile or so, but I found the area fascinating. Here are my photos from Walnut Canyon.


 this photo will be familiar as everyone photographs it
 first thing you see once you round the corner of the canyon


pink flowered Engelmann hedgehog cactus





holly-leaf buckthorn


 two stately saguaros


 ET?


 this little guy would flutter around us, then fly ahead
and light, waiting for us to catch up and move on


desert chicory





hackberry beard-tongue 


mule fat (I'm pretty sure)





 interesting rock with


 
 embedded fossils


 interesting cactus formation that


 looks like a llama peeking over the rocks


Visit Walnut Canyon with Curt behind the camera lens  The Hills Are Alive...




1 comment:

  1. This area is so beautiful, a person finds it hard to enjoy the scenery without being behind the camera lens. There is so much beauty to take in. We jeeped this area this year, would really like to hike it when we return to Arizona. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!