Friday, October 18, 2013

Generosity

One of my last minute projects before leaving for the winter is to solicit South Dakota made products from some of our local businesses. The state products are added to the South Dakota basket which is bid upon at the auction during Crush Out Cancer Week in late January 2014. Other resort residents from SD also bring items for the basket.

As I/we travel across the state I am always on the lookout for state made items that would compliment the basket of goodies. Sometimes I purchase the item. Sometimes I ask if the business would be willing to donate. I have never carried a letter or used the resort's solicitation letter, just presented the story of raising over $60,000 to help fight cancer. AND how the South Dakota basket has taken the highest bid at the auction all three years. Most people and businesses are very generous, when approached in person.

We were geocaching in and around a small community in the eastern part of the state. I was looking for a restroom. I walked into a building and realized it was not a cafe, but as I left a woman asked if she could help me. I told her what I was looking for and she said I could use the one in her building, the city office. Hubby chatted with her and in the discussion we learned the community was known for  honey processing and their business office was next door. I asked if I could purchase honey from them and she thought I could. So off I went. I was told they did not sell their honey, the grocery store did. I decided to share my story anyway. She donated a half gallon jug of honey and the bears for the basket. She did let me 'buy' a container of creamed honey. In our conversation, the woman shared how her son had recently been diagnosed with cancer.

Our last trip to the Black Hills included two stops for state products. The first shop was in Keystone. The owners graciously donated a bag of salt water taffy. Then it was on to Mount Rushmore. The manager of the gift shop was very generous two years ago, so I thought maybe he would be willing to donate again. He wasn't around. His boss wasn't around. But a woman from the office listened to my story and led me to the shelves of state products and let me choose what I wanted for the basket. 




So Thursday I had two stops in town. I had already spoken to the manager of my favorite refreshment establishment. Earlier this summer I had spoken with him about the basket for cancer week. (He has donated in the past.) This time I had asked him if I purchased an item, would he donate an item of equal value? He had said he would. So I pressed the issue, if I buy two, would he donate a second of equal value? He agreed. So Thursday morning I went shopping. I bought beer; he donated beer. I bought wine; he donated a bottle. Then he also donated a SD made whiskey and two wine glasses. NICE!

My next stop was the chocolate/candy store. I reminded the owner of her donation last year, my thank you letter to them last spring, and the success of the SD basket at the auction. She immediately began collecting items from the shelves. She filled a small bag (the one on the back right) with donated items. I also purchased two other chocolate candies. Her husband's sister has cancer.

The value of the table displayed items is more than $200. Pretty awesome. Mighty generous.

Many people have been touched by cancer. Anything that can be done to help those affected by cancer, to help in the research for finding a cure or preventing the disease in future generations is well worth my time and effort. The donations from the resort's week of activities goes to the American Cancer Society. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!