Saturday, June 6, 2015

I Do

On this date, 45 years ago, we pledged to honor and love each other. (I do not know if I agreed to obey?) I know I did not imagine what our lives would be like in 45 years. Nor did I imagine we would be married 45 years. At age 20, 45 years was an eternity. When I look at the photos, 45 years ago seems like yesterday.


7:00 PM on June 6, 1970 was hot and humid. I was so pleased to have gotten my wedding dress from the sales rack at Feinsteins. Of course it was on sale, it was a winter wedding gown! But it was a great bargain and would have been perfect if not for the 90% humidity and the 90 degree temperature.



I chose a very pale pink for my color. The cotton candy pink was not a complimentary color for any of the three brides maids. Their polyester dresses were long and sleeveless.


My Aunt Mildred made the wedding cake. We served ham sandwiches, dill pickles, nuts, and pillow mints to our guests.


Reverend Barrows had a great sense of humor, as did the Best Man. Jerry enjoyed beer and had been enjoying it for the past 24 hours. When Reverend Barrows asked him for the rings, Jerry took two beer can pull rings from his breast pocket and handed them to the minister. The reverend smiled and said, "I'd like the real ones, please."

45 years! Where has the time gone? I know we won't have another 45 years together. We have been blessed to have the first 45; not every marriage gets that many. Just as I was at age 20, I can't imagine what the future holds. With love and honor...Happy Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!