Saturday, July 11, 2020

Some Flora from the Black Hills

It took hours of research but I think I have identified the flower photos I took and am posting. I certainly could have mislabeled some of them because flora identification is not my strong suit...so forgive me and correct me.

I take photos of things that are interesting to me; maybe unusual, maybe colorful, maybe catching my eye. Some of the flowers were rare sightings for me. Some of the were very abundant. Some of them were colorful in that particular setting. Some of the flowers had visitors I tried to capture. Some of them are wild. Some of them planted in that place. Some of them from the woods. Some of them from the prairies. Some of them in town. All of them made me smile and brightened that particular moment. 

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.


Black Eyed Susans


Dame's Rocket


Coneflowers


I tried, but no idea
about 4' tall
looks somewhat like Lupine


Mariposa Lily


Pale Purple Coneflower


Prairie Bluebells


Queen Anne's Lace
or Wild Carrot


Sego Lily


Tall Pink Bachelor Button
or Corn Flower


Three-Nerve Fleabane


Wavyleaf Thistle


Wild Carrot
or Queen Anne's Lace
(I now know Yarrow is the wildflower near my perennial flower bed)


Wild Rose


Wood Lily
(this is only the second Wood Lily I have seen in SD)






4 comments:

  1. Coleen: your unidentified purple flower is perennial salvia a species of sage. It is also known as wild sage, purple sage and woodland sage.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coleen: your u identified purple flower is perennial salvia a species of sages. It is also known as wild sage, purple wood sage or woodland sage.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wood Lily, wow, I have never seen one in the wild. Prairie Bluebells is probably a penstemon rather than a bluebell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the purple flower was penstemon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!