Wednesday, January 13, 2021

The Southern Pacific

Hubby and I went to the downtown area of Old Tucson on our camping and caching adventure last week. One of our stops was at the train station. When we stopped in the morning, Hubby did not want me to talk to the railroad clerk when we realized we could not reach the backside of the train station due to Covid-19 restrictions. When I went inside there were areas roped off clearly indicating no trespassing. 

So we went on our way looking for other historical landmarks, but I really wanted to go back to the train station. The second time I went inside, I told the clerk we were geocachers and really needed to get to the backside of the train station. She asked how many were "we?" I told her just my husband and myself. She told me we could go on through the door of the waiting room, but "she saw nothing and no-one." We thanked her and went about finding the needed info for the two geocaches. (I was willing to ask because another geocacher shared how a kind Amtrak clerk allowed her and her husband access to the geocaching information at the back of the station.)



The SPRR building is very large and was built in 1907. "The original station, built in 1880, was a large wooden structure with offices, freight and passenger accommodations."


Today the SPRR is home to a number of businesses as well as housing the Amtrak ticket office and station. 


I did not take the time to read the info in the waiting room. I felt guilty taking the photos I did take! The waiting benches look old and nearly original to the time of the early passenger trains. I could envision men, women and families wearing their best dress clothing, waiting for the next train for a trip to wherever.

This must have been the control center for the passenger and freight trains coming and going from the Tucson station. 


This is the northern 'half' of the back side of the train depot. 


This is looking at the southern 'half' of the backside of the station. Passengers must have used this main back door when arriving and departing. I love how the old barrels marked where we could and could not wander. 

Several luggage wagons added to the historical feeling of the train station. Of course, the area was very quiet. I think an Amtrak train was to arrive sometime the day we were there. Other than two people asking for information, no one was sitting in the waiting room when we walked through, "unseen" by the Amtrak official.


This statue was one of the reasons we needed to get to the backside. Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday are just hangin' around, looking for trouble or for those who cause it.


The Tucson SPRR is the location where Wyatt Earp shot Frank Stillwell March 20, 1882.


a Southern Pacific train engine on display
behind a fenced area 


the impact of the railroad

***Remember, you can click on any photo to get a larger version***







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!