Friday, January 8, 2021

Where Was I on January 6th?

One of the writing prompts I use in the writing your life story classes I mentor is the question : Where were you the day John F. Kennedy was shot? What do you remember? What were you wearing? Eating? Who were you with? The idea for the prompt is to explain how a tragic event often leaves more of an impact in our memory bank, although sometimes that memory is buried farther back in our memory filing cabinets. For example, I vividly recall what I wore to school that day and what was served for school lunch. 

Another example would be the day the Space Ship Challenger exploded and the teacher on board, Christa McAuliffe, died along with the other six crew members.

Or 9/11. I distinctly remember the student who charged into the classroom that morning sharing the news I was not aware was happening to our country. We turned on the TV and watched the news because no lesson plan learning was going to take place that morning. 

I do not remember my feelings beyond disbelief on any of those occasions other than the Challenger explosion. I was driving between schools and upon hearing the news on the radio, pulled over to the side of the road and cried.

So where was I on January 6th when the Capitol building was under attack by American citizens? 


in the desert west of Tucson


geocaching in the desert


blissfully unaware of what was happening
(cooler on the front bumper)


not that we did not have cell service, we did


but when we geocache in areas like this


my focus is on the roads


and the surroundings

There are places not safe to drive the jeep, especially in this area. All my focus is on the road, whether I am driving or Hubby is driving, and on finding the geocaches. For now, there is very little concern of seeing rattlesnakes as they are in brumation.

Reptiles generally begin brumation in late autumn (more specific times depend on the species). They often wake up to drink water and return to "sleep". They can go for months without food. Reptiles may eat more than usual before the brumation time but eat less or refuse food as the temperature dropsHowever, they do need to drink water. The brumation period is anywhere from one to eight months depending on the air temperature and the size, age, and health of the reptile. During the first year of life, many small reptiles do not fully brumate, but rather slow down and eat less often. Brumation is triggered by a lack of heat and a decrease in the hours of daylight in winter, similar to hibernation. ~ Wikipedia



Only horses would be traveling safely in the above area where we stopped for a lunch break. We enjoyed the quiet and solitude of this little arroyo. No water running through the gullies as this part of Arizona is in a drought. Usually there would be green grass amongst the trees in an area like this. Green grass for the cattle we did not see, but were there at some point.

Rock On geo-art

On January 6th we were driving in the desert looking for 100+ containers hanging in prickly bushes or hiding under little rock piles. And not until we got back to the camper and checked emails did we realize what was happening in Washington DC. And then we became news junkies like many other Americans and I imagine others around the world, watching in disbelief at the scenes of what had happened throughout the day.

Feelings? Anger. I have been to Washington DC several times and have been in the Capitol building. I felt defiled as I watched the news. My stomach was in knots. I think I will remember my feelings on this day in history. Disbelief, but mostly anger.

We were also in the desert on Tuesday. We found the 60+ geocaches that made the turtle and completed the dip art we started when we were in the area in December.

Turtle Dash



DIP Art

Another day of finding 100 or so geocaches in the desert where it is easy to social distance and avoid COVID situations, and be blissfully unaware of the turmoil...at least for a few hours.






1 comment:

  1. I think it was better to be away from the TV on the 6th. We too were not aware until that evening. We decided to watch all that happened the next day from the "TODAY" show. So sad and ashamed of our leader and his lawyer for their actions and the lives lost due to it. Looking forward to a new admisitration on the 20th, lets hope for a difference. You both were very busy and got alot accomplished, KUDOS. Looking forward to seeing you in 2021. Safe travels

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!