Sunday, July 31, 2011

Touring Deadwood

For years I have wanted to take one of the several tours of historic Deadwood. This year I did my homework: found the names of the tour companies, the cost, the times of departure, and the departure location. We were in Deadwood by 8:00 AM on Thursday to watch Slack Time at the rodeo grounds. We had the afternoon free. Curt hit the gambling halls and I did the tours. Perfect, except for the weather. It rained and sprinkled during most of my one hour tour. But I did get to the places I wanted to see and heard the info that had been missing.


This is Deadwood's most famous person...Wild Bill Hickok

According to my tour guide, he lived in Deadwood & for only 60 some days,

Wild Bill was shot while playing cards in Saloon #10.


Buried next to Wild Bill is




Calamity Jane's grave in  Mt. Moriah Cemetery.


It is also home to Potato Creek Johnny
the gold prospector who found a 4 ounce gold nugget, the largest found in the Black Hills until a couple of years ago.


Also buried in this section of Mt. Moriah is
a madame, owner of 4 brothels in communities in the Black Hills region.


The cemetery overlooks the town of Deadwood, keeping watch over those who live there and those who come to visit.

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments!