Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Something with a Ball

This post is for Donna. She requested something with a ball.

This was Daughter's 7th visit to AZ during our winter stays of eight seasons (winters to you, another summer to us). It was her first ASU football game. She has been to basketball and baseball games on the ASU campus and an Insight Bowl game. She especially timed this October visit to coincide with the Oregon Ducks playing the Sun Devils. I was invited to go along to the game. Now, those of you who know me well, know I don't care one way or the other if I go to a game. If it is a social event (more than 2 people) and involves eating out (which it did-more on that in another post) I am willing to go along. On Tuesday of game day week there was an article in the AZ Republic "Marshall brothers to battle it out when ASU hosts Oregon". That caught my eye. I hardly ever read or look at the sports section, but the article had a leader on the front page. After reading the article and sharing it with hubby & daughter I was rather excited about my football game invitation.

Camreron Marshall is a senior running back. He has rushed for 262 yards and 5 touchdowns prior to the Thursday evening game. (He needs just 10 more touchdowns this season to break ASU's school record of 43.)


Bryon Marshall is a true freshman running back. He has rushed for 285 yards and has 3 touchdowns on his record at Oregon. (He ran a 125 yd. touchdown against Tennessee Tech.) [Yes. 125 yds. according to the newspaper. Hubby reminded me a football field is 100 yds. long. With the end zone 110. I don't know how the touchdown was 125 yds. I just took the info from the AZ Republic. Blame them!]

This would be the first time the brothers played against each other. Hubby said Bryon would not be playing much unless the Ducks were well in the lead. WRONG! Both boys were on the field early & often.

The Marshalls are from San Jose CA. The newspaper article said the parents split football game visits. Father follows Bryon one week while mother follows Cameron. The next week, they switch. They were excited to be at the same game to watch both sons.

This was the score one minute and twelve seconds into the game. ASU scored first on a recovered fumble second play of the game, but would not see another touchdown until the fourth quarter. First quarter score: ASU 7, Ducks 22. Halftime score: ASU 7, Ducks 43. We left before the end of the third quarter. Final score: ASU 14, Ducks 43. The Ducks had 6 consecutive touchdowns in 17 minutes of play. Bryon Marshall had 44 yards rushing (freshman, Duck); Cameron Marshall had 30 yards rushing (senior, Sun Devil). I wonder what the family conversation was after the game?

Other highlights of the evening were...

Blackout at Sun Devil Stadium
71,000 + fans, I don't think so, but a good crowd


 Another fan sporting the 'correct' black


Pyrotechnic Hill, one of two on each side of the stadium


Good thing I had my camera on for that first surprise 
ASU touchdown 


I got some of the not too frequent fireworks


The clouds provided a pink and coral sunset


Prior game time activities will be in another post sometime in the future,
probably during one of the more boring weeks with few interesting happenings.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!