Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Stagecoach Stop

Hubby and I have been doing a lot of geocaching since we have been home. One of our trips last week brought us within a couple of miles of a stagecoach station. Since we were so close and our day had been very successful, Hubby agreed to make the unplanned stop. (There was a geocache at the location.)

I had heard about the stagecoach station 35 years ago when I was teaching in a small community in the area. One of the school's families lived near the station and somehow we teachers who were NOT from the area learned of its existence. I don't believe any of the others ever traveled to see it, and like many things, it was forgotten, until last week.

I take the camera along on all our caching trips, but usually don't see anything worthy of a photo. Or the critters are gone before I can get the cap off the lens. I was thrilled to have it and the opportunity to see and document this piece of history. 

This is the information posted on the geocaching page for this cache:


"A bit of history. The Stagecoach Stop.

Over 100 years ago this location was a stagecoach stop. It is now a historical site and a fun place to stop and look around. The site is maintained by volunteers. As you hike back to the cache, be carefull of the itch-weeds. A woodchuck lives nearby, but he is afraid of everyone, as woodchucks are. If it is during deer season, wear orange clothing."


Doesn't look like much does it?
No sign to identify it, only the GPS coordinates.
South side of the house facing the road.


The only official sign


East side of the building


The water pump and well on the north side


The hitching post for the team of horses


The outhouses
The one on the left was also an outhouse...one holer
but not the typical shape of an outhouse. I did not try to get 
into the one on the right.


This is a window from the outhouse on the right.
It is about 8"x10". 
I have included it because when I was around 3 years old,
I got 'locked' in the outhouse. I climbed the wall and crawled
out the window of the same size. Notice its height from the floor.
I must have been tall enough standing on the seat to reach the sill.
The story is in my book.


The cellar
There was a faint odor of skunk around there.
I didn't stay long.


I could see in this kitchen window on the west side.
The old (original?) cook stove, a metal cupboard next to it.


Loved the lace curtains hanging in the parlor (?)
or front room.


The lace curtains


This is the window on the east side looking into
a room that housed the table and two large wooden
chairs. Some of that stuff is NOT original to the house!


I liked the sign identifying the kitchen.
It was hanging above the doorway leading into the kitchen.


This calendar was hanging on the dining room (?) wall. 
Harper's Weekly 1890


It is too bad the building has not been restored. It is in amazing 
condition considering there is no town or farm nearby.
I am surprised it has not been vandalized.


I wonder if stagecoach travelers stayed overnight at the station?
Or was it a place to change the team or water and feed the
horses and potty break for the travelers?
The only other place I found some information was 
and it was rather sketchy.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!