Sunday, May 26, 2013

How Many Dishes Does One REALLY Need?


Facing the task of moving what used to be in the kitchen, the pantry and the built-in china hutch back into the kitchen, the newly configured pantry and minus a second china cabinet seemed very daunting this Sunday morning.



If I lived without it for the past month and cooked (sort-of) without it, do I REALLY NEED it?

I think most of us would agree we have too much stuff. As we have been renovating the house the past three years, we have made a conscious effort to de-clutter. So technically, the kitchen and pantry also need to be de-cluttered. It is too much stuff, some of which might be used once every three to five years. I do not entertain like I used to. So I am going to give careful consideration to each item before it get puts back in the kitchen. 

Ah, but the dishes...How Many Sets of Dishes Do We Really Need?



I have had this set of dishes since my father-in-law moved from his Watertown apartment in about 1995. I liked the set because it went with the country blue theme I had in the kitchen. The cream/off-white background complimented the kitchen table and counter.



I liked the set so much, I bought country blue Fiesta ware  pieces to go with it. I decided early this afternoon, it is going. I don't need everyday dishes, 



and company dishes. The white corelle ware has just been moved in status to everyday dishes! I have every conceivable piece necessary to serve any possible food item. 

I first bought this set when I hosted gourmet club. There were 9 and 10 gals in our Cuisine, LTD group for years. My china was a place setting of 8. I needed more dishes, so bought white corelle. I would add to the set through the years as its serving pieces complimented any dishes I might be using. I think I have 16 of some of the pieces and maybe 12 or 8 of the others. Again...how many dishes do we really need?

I got the china when I purchased the set of pots and pans in 1971. Every bridal book and magazine said a new bride needed china. I was thrilled to get my free set with the purchase of the kettles. I wonder if the china gets used maybe once every five years? 



I will keep the fun snowmen mugs and plates. They were a gift from our daughter and although I am not home when the snow is [at home] and it just seems silly to have snowmen dishes in AZ, I am not ready to part with the whimsical dishes. I have been known to use them when serving lunch to my Canasta card group in the fall.



I will also keep the We Wish You A Merry Christmas and the Happy New Year plates, also a gift from our daughter*, because one never knows...I might use them again...Someday. Besides, there's more room now that I have decided to downsize by one set of dishes!

*she worked at Crate & Barrel for a few years. That job had wonderful benefits for me.

This decision will make hubby happy. He has been asking for one month, "How many sets of dishes do you need?"
My response has been, "How many sets of tools do you need?" 
End of discussion.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!