Thursday, September 5, 2013

State Fair Time

I attended my first state fair (South Dakotas) when I was maybe a freshman or sophomore in high school. I was on a 4-H judging team from my county that competed against other 4-Hers from other counties judging something other animals. I know the judging team did not judge all seven days at the fair, but for whatever reason I spent seven days in Huron SD. Seven Boring Days. More than one year, too. I probably rode with someone who spent the entire week there because of official fair duties. I had only so much money to spend and so much time that was scheduled for 4-H duty. The rest of the time I was on my own. I don't remember any of the state fair judging experiences with any fond or not-fond memories. I only remember the boredom, the heat, the dirt, and the dormitory accommodations. 

My next memory of attending the South Dakota State Fair was in the early years of marriage and teaching. We took teaching friends Nicci and Terry (from North Dakota) along for a fun time on a very hot Labor Day. We walked a lot and by the time we headed home, I was sicker than a dog. Migraine. Upset stomach. Weak. I now know I suffered from heat exhaustion. I didn't know it then. We did not go back to the SD State Fair until many years later...like 25 years later. My memories of that visit are of hot, dirt, and boredom. 

So when daughter suggested a trip to the Minnesota State Fair during our visit last week, I was a bit hesitant. All that walking and my touchy ankle. UGH. The hot temps of last week. A whole day at the fair??? I was out voted and the MN State Fair was on the agenda. They compromised and it was an evening adventure...cooler temps, less time...I won. We have attended the MN State Fair before, twice I believe. It is SO much larger than the SD State Fair that it takes a map to find your way around. 

After work hours on Friday we drove to a nearby church and parked in their parking lot for a shuttle bus ride to the fair grounds. At the parking lot we were given a cold bottle of water, a coozie, and a tag to find our way back to our car. 

Daughter had an agenda...food tasting. 


people as far as the eye could see


deep fried was on the menu
(we had healthy salads for lunch)


fried green tomatoes was first on the agenda
we ate them so quickly I forgot to take a photo
we shared a basket of sliced green tomatoes
deep fat fried with a side of ranch dressing
crispy outside, crunchy inside
two thinly sliced tomatoes each
quite tasty


I liked the holstein tram car


not dark enough for the lighted effects


fried green olives was next on the menu
six olives per stick
two sticks


someone had her own stick and did not share

deep-fried, green olives stuffed with cream cheese
with ranch dressing on the side
outside batter very similar to fried tomatoes
inside...green olives
I ate two
one to taste, the other to be nice
this venue had the longest line


this venue was one of the most popular
bucket of fresh, warm chocolate chip cookies
the bucket was so full, the lid was on the side
he did NOT share with us
that line was even longer


our next stop


eight or nine pickle slices, batter dipped and fried
served with ranch dressing on the side
we had the variety pack of flavors...
dill, cajun and jalapeno 
the dill was yummy
the cajun was good
the jalapeno was hot
three slices apiece


we decided to eat something that was NOT fried
shakes from the University of Minnesota Dairy Bar
mango, chocolate and vanilla
and a cinnamon & sugar pretzel
daughter was the only one to finish her shake
all three were very yummy
the pretzel was the best I have ever tasted
the three of us shared it


we did NOT try this delicacy
don't even know what it looked like
or what was in the hot dish on a stick
did not sound appealing, at all



we ended the evening with beer tasting  
a flight of four eight ounce Minnesota micro-brews
this is the Belgium flight of four different beers
not impressed with any of them
glad the three of us shared all four
none were worth going back for seconds

total cost of our food tasting & sharing adventure
at least $60
remember we shared each item except for the olives

the weather was perfect
the fair atmosphere was fun
the food was interesting
time spent there was just right
and my ankle was NOT sore the next day

A SUCCESSFUL STATE FAIR EXPERIENCE!
Thanks, daughter.
I will go again.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!