Friday, January 10, 2014

Ted DeGrazia

I had not heard of, nor was I familiar with, the work of artist Ettore (Ted) DeGrazia, but friend Nancy invited me to go along to an exhibition of his Superstition Collection at the Superstition Mountain Museum.

Like many artists, DeGrazia (1909-1982), is an interesting character. His work also fits that category... interesting. I admire his use of bold colors to depict the mountain and its legends. The mountain that is in my back yard.


I used my new iphone to take a panoramic shot of some of the collection.



Again, Nancy was my instructor.


This was a skull with paintings and etches



by DeGrazia. He also worked with jewelry.



The skull had some imbedded stones 



and gold.



Some of the displayed pieces were watercolor,
and some were pen and ink.
I wonder if this isn't his depiction of Tortilla Flats?



These pieces were oil paintings.



Very few of his people had faces.











Dr. Thorne led by the natives



The legend or story of Dr. Thorne



Dr. Thorne collecting his gold



The story of The Dutchman, according to DeGrazia


DeGrazia's painting of The Dutchman,
one of the few with a face



The Dutchman's tired, old mule



A contrast in spirit
Most of his animals had faces.



Weaver's Needle


And my favorite, the Superstition Mountains



I also like how he described the mountain,



giving her a personality. 


Thanks, Nancy for another educational adventure and
for introducing me to the work of Ted DeGrazia.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!