Monday, December 14, 2015

Barbie Doll Clothes

I am doing something I said I would NEVER do again. I am making Barbie doll clothes. Why? Well, I have a granddaughter who when asked what she wanted for Christmas told me she "would like a doll that she could change its clothes." While talking to her mother about her request, it was decided rather than buy another doll, maybe just some clothes for the ones she has. Well, that sounds good in theory, but have you looked at the outfits for the Barbie-like dolls? They are made so cheaply, they'll fall apart after just a couple of dressings. Besides, I didn't see anything that really caught my eye.

I made many Barbie doll clothes for OFD about 33 years ago. I sewed two piece dresses with gathered skirts, and sleeves. OMG. Never again. So as I was thinking about what to do for Miss W and her request, I came across a YouTube video about making doll clothes from socks. I even found a printed pattern. Hmmmm. I could do that. So I started looking for fun socks for some fun outfits.

It is especially nice that socks come in pairs; one can become the 'first draft'. Here are some of the creations so far. But don't tell Miss W as it is a SURPRISE!


some of the supply
I had to buy a Barbie for measurements


this pair of Christmas knee highs...


Barbie has a 'fur' cape


a sweater & fur skirt


a dress


the purple socks became a skirt and dress
there is a pair of pink ruffled socks ones, too


I think this will become pajamas & maybe a robe

I also bought some remnants for possible clothes. My mother brought some fabric scraps when she came for Thanksgiving. So I have lots to play with for this project. I might try some of the patterns I found online and sew some slacks or a skirt...maybe. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!