Tuesday, December 8, 2015

My Christmas Diet

I started my diet yesterday/Monday. You are thinking: a diet before Christmas, how appropriate. I was on this diet last year at this time. I survived, so I will survive again. And just like last year, this is a doctor's ordered diet.

The diet that began Monday, the low iodine diet, is to prepare my body for the radio-active pill I will be swallowing on December 23rd. That will be followed by a couple of days of quarantine. On December 24th I will have a "Thyrogen simulated, I-123 Whole Body Scan to identify any residual thyroid cancer cells that remain in" my body. 

I will drink distilled water and carefully read all food labels and eliminate: egg yolks, iodized & sea salt, store-bought bread, ham, bacon, sausage & fish, marinated chicken, soy products, dairy products, molasses, and the BIGGY...chocolate. 

I will bake muffins and cakes, and maybe some cookies using oil and egg whites which are on the approved list. We will eat fresh organic chicken and organic ground beef (thanks to my brother, the farmer). Fresh and frozen veggies are highly recommended. Thankfully, we like roasted veggies. I will experiment with spices to help with some of the blandness, although we have reduced our salt intake a lot since Hubby's heart disease diagnosis. Some things just need salt...like potatoes. 

I also have the 100 pages of recipes to refer to during this 3 weeks; recipes approved by the Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association. We'll eat out less often. I will prepare my own food for times when what is on the menu may not be in my best interest. I will survive...and maybe loose a few pounds in the process.


egg yolk free pasta
very dry rice cakes, unsalted
and even drier rice crackers...but I have a plan for them this year


lunch today because I was busy
natural peanut butter on rice cakes


dinner tonight
meat loaf with roasted potatoes and glazed carrots

It takes longer to prepare these meals because I am always referring to recipes to make adjustments, hoping to make the food tasty because Hubby is eating it also. (The meatloaf recipe I normally use calls for milk. That is a no-no right now.) Hubby thought the potatoes were very good, but then he got to use sour cream. Me? I didn't think they were that great. Oh, and I can't eat potato peelings, either. Oh, well...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!