Friday, July 13, 2018

Do I Need It? Will I Use It? Do I Love It?


Before it got ridiculously hot this past week, I was spending some time out back enjoying the flower beds. THIS I will miss! More about the flower bed in another post. 

By now I am thinking some of you may be wondering what is happening and how things are going.

The hip is healing and doing well. It probably won't be too happy about the abuse it will be experiencing during the next month (lots of standing) but I will deal with it. I have a follow up with the surgeon on Monday.

A week ago today son and his family came to help...NO, clean-out the attic. It was a VERY warm and humid day, but in 90 minutes with frequent breaks, 48 years worth of stored treasures found the light of day, or at least found the floor of the garage. It would have taken the two of us three days to do what Karl did in those 90 minutes. We are so thankful for their help!









The G'kids found LOTS of treasures! 




Those treasures are slowly making their way to their house! Over the weekend Hubby and I went through every box, tub, container that came down. We donated a lot. We tossed some. Everything has been relabeled. It will only get moved if it makes the...
Do I Need It?
Will I Use It?
Do I Love it?

criteria. The three question criteria came about when Hubby opened an AARP email advertising a book to help with decluttering. How appropriate was that! I goggled the book, but decided I did not need to purchase it as I KNOW what needs to be done. But one of the chapter headings caught my eye: Do I Need It? Will I Use It? Do I Love It? The author wrote if an item can answer yes to all three questions, it is definitely a keeper. But if it answers yes to just one question, you should probably hang on to it.

The other chapter that caught my eye, and again I already knew, but it doesn't hurt to hear and read again: Your Kids Do NOT Want Your Stuff! We have chuckled about that one for many years. We know they don't, but we still keep trying!

Between the day the house sold and Monday of this week, we emptied some closets and found agencies that would take the things we have too many for two people. I had decided what furniture would be making the move to the new home and am planning to post it on the community garage sale Facebook site. My niece has a new and used upscale shop and she has taken MANY of the things that don't make the 3 question criteria. Surprisingly, Son & OFDIL have taken tools we will not need in a HOA, as HOA is the requirement for the new place.

The other words of wisdom that have helped as we search for a new home is making a 5 Year Plan. With Hubby's health concerns, looking at 5 years seems very doable. We can always adjust that 5 Year Plan if the need arises. And at the end of 5 years, we can make another 5 Year Plan. Thank you Nancy, for the words of wisdom. It has helped.

Because you have not heard anything from us since the end of June, just know that the hip is doing well. We are busy cleaning and sorting, tossing and talking. The adventures of this past week will be posted on Sunday. There is more to share...



2 comments:

  1. Great blog Coleen, it was like reading a book! I could hardly wait to see what was happening next!!!!!! I can sooooo relate with everything you are going through and every decision. Curt and Chris moved to their first home last week. We brought ‘things’ back from the shack in Penticton, repacked the airstream with furniture and headed to Seaforth last weekend. Such fun for your grands to find treasures. Good job everyone. The wonderful thing about all of this is that you are making decisions and choices when you are in a good space. Well done Coleen and Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. Never heard it before but that's basically what we did when we went full timing. Good luck to you both in the purge process!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!