Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Mystery Flower

Watertown Destination Imagination has a fund raiser from a Dutch Bulb company. You look at the flowers online, make your selections, place the order, and receive the bulbs in a week. I like to support the kids' program because I was involved in getting it started in Watertown in the late 1980s. I'm really proud the program has continued for almost 30 years.

I ordered bulbs 2 years ago and had very good luck, so ordered again last fall. When we got home in May the tulips and iris were in all their awesome glory. I had a new plant I did not recognize. When we left for the Cincinnati trip there was a small bud on the end of each 2' stem. I figured it would bloom while we were gone and I would miss the new flowers.


There are 3 'mounds' of this flower. The bud turned into a green tipped flower. Cool! I thought that was it.

a few weeks later


purple tipped green flower


late June/early July flower of the 
Purple Drumstick
2-3' tall, long narrow leaves
planted from bulbs
petal-less flowers

Great choice!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!