Tuesday, March 3, 2020

35 And Done!

Today's blog post is a guest post by Hubby.

I have had issues with various levels of blockage since my by-pass surgery in July of 2010.  While participating in physical therapy after receiving a stent in the fall of 2017 I continued to have physical limitations. My AZ cardiologist scheduled four tests to determine what was preventing me from making progress that winter. After four tests and two trips to the cath lab without any success I had a follow-up appointment with him and asked if there might be another option, since surgery did not appear to be a viable solution. The cardiologist mentioned EECP.  Luckily, the lead person in my therapy program had provided me with information about this program so I knew what he was proposing as my next option.

EECP (Enhanced External Counter Pulsation) is intended to help increase blood flow which has rerouted itself and to prevent a condition called Angina. Angina occurs when the heart needs more blood and oxygen than is currently being provided due to blockage. EECP is a seven week, five days a week, one hour each session program.

This winter is the second time I have participated in EECP. My first participation was in early 2018. I felt there was some success after the first round of 35 sessions, but learned the sessions could be repeated again in 90 days, according to Medicare. After visiting with the AZ cardiologist in November, we agreed to try the therapy again.

I began the 2020 sessions on Thursday, January 2nd and completed my program on Wednesday, February19th.  During one of my sessions Coleen was joined by three of our friends. Photos and  a short video were taken to provide everyone with a better understanding of what EECP is all about.




This is not a movie, just a photo showing 
what I wear

This photo provides you with a picture of the table you lie on with the blue compressions on my calves, thighs and mid-section.  (explained later in the post) The kind and helpful staff makes sure you are comfortable and check on you at least every 15 minutes during my sessions. My vitals are also checked prior and after each session.




Legacy provides each participant with a television so you can watch a variety of programs.  I always chose Netflix.  This really helps the one hour sessions pass by quickly.  

There are eight beds at this facility. By the end of my seven weeks, six of the eight beds were full during my appointed time. Men and women of all ages graduated and new people started the program throughout each week. This Legacy facility was located in Tempe. Legacy also has facilities in Kansas, North Carolina and Texas. There are other facilities or companies similar to this one throughout the US. Not all cardiologists believe in the EECP program. I happened to be assigned to one who does.



Friend Sherry took a short video to show what occurs during my daily one hour session. This machine gets in rhythm with my heart and when my heart relaxes the compressions squeeze which forces more blood through the rerouting vessels. It can also create additional new routes to increase the blood flow. The body gets quite a workout each session.  Even though it looks like you are really bouncing around it is not really that bad. Also, because the compressions put additional pressure on my mid-section I cannot eat and drink that much. You really don't want to stop the procedure and rush to the bathroom.

My reason for sharing this story is not to say look what I have done, but maybe someone reading this may not have heard of EECP.  It may open a whole new option that did exist prior to reading what I have shared. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to participate in this program as both Coleen and I feel it has been beneficial and is improving my quality of life.

EECP info can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Curt. I have never heard of it. With family members with heart issues, it is definitely something I want to remember. I'm glad you're having a good winter. Jim and I are enjoying our first in Casa Grande. It's been wonderful! Nancy Weber

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice blog post and very informative! Glad it helps and improves your quality of life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!