Friday, December 31, 2021

In the Shadow of Picket Post Mountain

 Earlier this week I had to go to Superior to do some maintenance on a geocache I placed, so we combined that needed trip with finding some geocaches. Some of the geocaches Hubby found when he and Don,  another resort geocacher, went on an adventure in the jeep in February 2013. I have whined about not getting to those caches for several years because of the historical significance of the area. We had the jeep and the time on Monday.

These wagon tracks were made by heavily loaded wagons transporting ore from the Silver King Mine to the mill in Pinal City a short distance south west of this location. 


The wagon wheels were constructed of wood with iron tread which ground groves into the solid rock. Also noteable is the round depressions between the wheel tracks are said to be from the mules pulling the wagons stepping in the same place each time they passed.


Hubby's foot in a rut to show the depth of the tracks.

We had been to the wagon wheel tracks years before we were geocaching and when the road to the tracks was accessible from Hwy. 60  


This photo from our visit on February 20, 2007 shows the indentions that may have come from the mules' hoof prints.

Carol is standing in an area much deeper than where Hubby was standing. (photo from 02/20/2007)


I had forgotten there was a sign showing curious folks where to walk to find the wagon tracks. I'm thinking the sign is gone as the tracks can not be located directly from Hwy. 60.

The other historical site I wanted to visit was Pinal City. While doing research for the geocaches I placed in Superior, I read about this early mining community and was interested in seeing it first hand.


An imprinted brick or stone from days gone by. I can not read it.


Several red, clay bricks were laying around. 


One of two wall foundations I saw at Pinal City.

Pinal City's post office was established on April 10th, 1878 and was discontinued November 28th, 1891. Pinal City was the milling site for the nearby Silver King mine, about five miles to the northeast. Originally called Pickett Post after Pickett Post Butte, Pinal City grew to a size of over 2000 residents. The town had it's own newspaper called the Pinal Drill. The community had everything anyone would want. When silver was de-valued in the late 1800's the town quickly dwindled and in 1890, only ten people were left. Unbelievably absolutely nothing is left today. The remains of the mill site are still visable. 


The berries crowning a pin cushion cactus I happened to see while checking out Pinal City.


Erosion wash outs and Queen Creek (an actual creek) make for interesting driving. We did watch vehicles come through two areas we did not drive. This road was just below the hill and location of Pinal City.
The view looking east, southeast of Pinal City. We geocached in the area of the dark 'hole.'


We found two other geocaches connected with Pinal City ghost town. Hubby and Don had found these also, but I was happy we trekked to them because they were certainly worth the view.

Hubby told me to go up on top to find the cache. This is what I saw. No geocache.


He didn't remember it was at the base of the hill, in the hole. 


No geocache? That's okay. I'll take photos! These deciduous trees will loose their leaves sometime in January or early February and will begin to grow new leaves beginning in March. This is looking north and over Queen Creek.


We crossed Queen Creek to get to the first geocache and continued up the mountainside, through a barbed wire fence, over dormant grass to the side of this cliff for another geocache, hidden near a cave of sorts.


Again looking north, Queen Creek is along the line of trees. Someone was brave enough to drive the roads/dirt tracks as in an earlier photo. The jeep is parked on the other side of the grouping of yellow trees on the right.


Interesting overhang near the 'cave.'


We took the road to get back to the jeep. We did not have to crawl through the fence or cross the creek, stepping on wet rocks. Another successful adventure. No more whining on my part. Geocaches and photos...I'm good!


When I was walking around at Pinal City, this rock caught my eye. A fossil! Now that I have it home and cleaned, I'm not sure if it is a worm fossil, or just a great squiggle from another mineral. Since I carried it down the hill, I'm going with fossil! It will go in my AZ rock display, joining many other AZ rocks I have collected while hiking and geocaching.


Picket Post Mountain
(view from Wagon Tracks or Pinal City)










1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to explore this area so hopefully will get out there this year in the buggy while it is still cool and critters are still hibernating. Thanks for all the info and pics!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!