Monday, December 6, 2021

Some of This and That from November

 I realized I did not post photos from a geocaching adventure with Jon & Sherry last month. Sherry is very good about posting photos on Facebook sharing our adventure. Sometimes, I just late to the party!




Our resort has planted a few Crested Blue Myrtle Cacti. Now I know the name of the unique species.


This is three cacti growing from the base of the big armed cactus I can not identify. But we also saw a Crested Blue Myrtle and saw some prickly pear paddles peeking among the base. Interesting because I do not know if it was planted and planned to be 3 different plants OR if nature provided the seeds and the conditions for 3 different plant.

All of the above cacti were seen at the Park of the Canals in Mesa. The park is worthy of another visit because we didn't take the time I would have liked to visit the ruins and artifacts from the native people living in the area.

I did not know Waylon Jennings was buried in Mesa. He was born and grew up in TX, but moved to Phoenix in 1960. He played with Buddy Holly, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, and Johnny Cash. He lived in Chandler at the time of his death. His bio is quite interesting. Waylon Jennings Country Music Hall of Fame


The City of Mesa Cemetery was another stop on our geocaching adventure.


Then it was a stop in Downtown Mesa for a walking tour. One stop was at the Arizona Museum of Natural History.


I couldn't resist a photo of this cute sculpture of boy feeding ducks. The sculpture is called Quackers created by Mike Dwyer of Loveland CO.



The Walking Tour took us to two places I did not know about before the geocaching Adventure Lab. then we drove to Queen Creek to explore that community.





And again, I found something I did not know existed in our area: a Stage Stop.





The structure is secured behind a metal fence to prevent folks like us wandering around and unintentionally harming the ruins.


I was satisfied to take photos and read the history.


Then it was time for dinner at San Tan Flat.


On another note...

I love the humor of the AZ DOT. This was on Wednesday before Thanksgiving.


And who doesn't love a colorful sunset photo? When I noticed the colors of the sky, I grabbed the camera and headed (drove) to the ball park in the resort and took photos. I never tire of the view!








1 comment:

  1. It was a fun and successful day. It always is with you two. Enjoy your current adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!