Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hiking Black Mesa Loop

 Today's hike in the Superstition Mts. was the Black Mesa Loop. A very pretty hike on the backside of the mountain we see each day. It was a new hike for both of us. Curt took the 9.1 mile loop. I did not. I did about 4.5 miles, in and out.

 Up on the sandstone ridge, four barrel cacti are growing. It always amazes me where the desert seeds land and where life can grow.

 These were my sixteen hiking partners.

 I enjoy seeing the unusual rock formations and more of the yellow green lichen that grows only in the Superstitions.

 We noticed all the tracks in the sand near this little watering-hole. It must be a spring.

 I looked up near the end of the hike and noticed this splash of red. Blooming flowers in an unlikely place.

The stately saguaros

A saguaro used to frame my shot

 Some of Curt's thirty-six hiking companions taking a break in the wash.

 The famous Needle in the background. There is a hike planned to that pinnacle in March. Another long trek.

Curt saw some unusual formations also.

We passed a small watering hole and noticed these prints in the mud. Not horse. Not deer. Bobcat?

Another great day in AZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!