Sunday, March 10, 2013

Historic Florence

A geocaching trip into the desert was planned for Friday, but the rain that started falling before midnight on Thursday and continued falling through the night and much of the morning had us rethinking our plan. Hubby wasn't truly convinced the desert wasn't the best destination until I got out of the jeep to open and then close the wire gate to the entrance of the desert road. I sunk 3 inches into the sandy muck. I had trouble walking in the sludge; the wet muck added several pounds of weight to my hiking boots. When he saw all the goop on my boots, he agreed to Plan B...another trip to Florence.

This time I had a caching agenda. I needed cache find names beginning with the letters V and X and the numbers 6 and 8. All four were in the Florence area. The V cache was across the street from the Catholic church. I did not take photos on our last visit looking for V, but I did this time.



With the parking lot, the church campus covers an entire block.
The tan buildings on the left; the white building in the front;
the church on the right; and not seen, the rectory building
behind the church.



There was lots of texture, lines and differing
colors catching my eye.



I believe the tan building is their fellowship hall
and classrooms. Not sure about this white building.



Interesting. Historic Florence for sure!









Church building completed in 1912.
The third church on this site



A mission style facade on the church building.



A fountain with benches in the courtyard



Another statue with lots of benches in the courtyard
A serene place for meditation and contemplation.


The rain was not a bother until around 4:00 when another thunderstorm (with thunder and lightning) rolled in from the west. We counted it a successful afternoon after finding 19 caches, including my needed 4. No, we don't have all of them in the Florence area, but we do have all the current hides in the  town.  I am having as much fun with my camera on these adventures as I am finding the caches!





1 comment:

Thanks for your comments!