Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spring in AZ!

We know it is spring in AZ when...
1) The temps are in the 80s and 90s for more than 1 or 2 days.
2) The flowers start appearing along the highway near the resort.
We are anticipating LOTS of flora color this spring because of all the rain this winter. I had not seen many flowers on our forages into the desert around the valley, but I have seen lots of flowers the last two days in the desert around Yuma.

This is for all my friends in the NORTH country who are still experiencing winter. Spring will come...

I do not know the names to all the flowers I photographed today.
This is a flowering variety of prickly pear cacti.


This is brittle bush.
Brittle bush is the reason for a a yellow covered Silly Mt. 


Similar to the flower on the brittle bush, 
but these grow as a single
plant.

Many flowering ocitilla in this area.


A little white dainty flower
Wish I knew its name.


More prickly pear blooms
This was a large plant with many flowers.


This purple flower was about a foot tall.
I don't believe the plant to the right is a relative.


More little dainty daisy-like flowers.


And this unusual bug
It was crawling in the sand next to the van.

We also saw a large jack rabbit, but he was too fast for a photo.
I saw several long tan lizards, but they were too fast today.
No snakes.

Some geocaching in the morning before we head back to the northeast.


1 comment:

  1. Ah hah! Brittle Bush....thanks for your informative posts. I kept wondering what that was on Silly Mtn and just never took the time to look it up. Good to know! Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!