Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Jungle Update

Before leaving for another week of camping in the Black Hills, 
I visited the garden Monday afternoon, to water and harvest. 


The tomato plants are out of control!
(Photo from 8/5, so it was only worse a week later!)

I had decided not to prune the plants
(after a discussion with someone).
I should NOT have listened and just cut those things off
several weeks ago.
The tomato plants just keep growing, blossoming and
creating new itty bitty tomatoes. The part that is wrong with
all that is the tomatoes that are ripening are also
 itty bitty, not a size I am expecting of my 
Roma tomatoes.

You will see & understand...


I knew the cucumbers had gotten out of hand,
but we ate some every day from the ones I had picked
earlier last week. 
That is a paper towel tube to show the size of the renegade
monsters. I tossed a few; gave a few to the book club gals
and still had a dozen to pack for our week of camping.


I was surprised the lemon tomatoes had ripened in a week.
See those small Romas? I'll be peeling tomatoes for ever
for the salsa I hope to make! 

The tomatoes plants HAD to be pruned.


15 minutes and half a gabage container later...


you can actually see the cucumber trellis in the center of the garden!


OH, and those three different looking pepper plants that came
with the red sweet peppers??? The three plants that are loaded
with small, green, collapsed peppers????
I picked one and broke it open, put it to my lips 
with the intention of tasting it...
Let's just say I won't have to buy any jalapeno peppers
for the salsa. My lips were still burning an hour later!

Thanks Diane for once again, coming to my garden rescue,
to water and harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!