Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Blooms at St. George

I almost missed visiting the nearby Catholic church's courtyard for the early cacti blooms. It was the end of March, and the cardon cactus was done blooming.


the barrel cactus had some new flowers


the new and the old


the hedgehog cactus had many flowers






one more barrel bloom


I have only seen the buds on this cactus
I guess I should go back to see how 
the flowers look 


this was on the large Cereus cactus outside the courtyard


the petals curl in on this one


 
a colorful assortment


new thorns growing on the paddle/lobe on the left
the prickly pear lobes can be grilled & eaten at this stage
the outer skin is peeled to reveal an inner white 'meat'
the neighbors tried one & liked it
other friends tried one and were not impressed
I will be stay with the prickly pear ice cream


I did not realize I didn't visit in 2014.

St. George's Visit 2013

St. George's Visit 2012  (one of 3 posts in 2012)

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments!