Wednesday, June 24, 2020

My Perennials

My Facebook memory this week was of the perennial flower bed one year ago. Since I have not posted many flower photos so far this year, I grabbed the camera and headed out back to give an update of the perennial flower bed.




We have had a couple of hard rains which washed away some of the soil. My little rock wall did not hold the soil in place very well. So I weeded it, added more soil and then covered it in wood chips to help with moisture control and erosion.



The old ironed rimmed wheel was found on a visit to Boot Ranch where I was born and lived for 5 years. My dad did not remember if it was from machinery or vehicles he used. I just felt it was interesting and deserved to be uncovered and displayed. I've had it in my gardens for almost 20 years.


Orange Globe 
Trollius x cultorum 'Orange Princess'
rabbit & deer resistant

Originally I chose it for its color, but I must admit I love watching the flower buds as they grow and open. A very pretty delicate flower, and a little more unique.



Beardtongue
Penstemon
Mountain Pride
John Muirs favorite flower

I downloaded an app on my phone to help with flower identification when the plastic identification tags are missing. It works! I know I chose this one for its color.



Columbine
Aquilegia
Grannys bonnet or Crowfoot


Iceland Poppy
Papaver nudicaule

I love these delicate flowers. They remind me of the wild poppies we see growing in AZ. I have tried growing them several times. Although a perennial, they usually don't survive our summers, so I have never had one appear in the spring. I just buy them when I see them and replant! And enjoy them while they are alive and blooming. I was very happy to see them this spring when flower shopping as it was a reminder of the trip we did not get to take this spring.


Lark Spur
Consolida ajacis
an annual, WHAT????
related to the Delphinium

I liked it because it was a blue flower and because it attracts butterflies, Now I realize it is an annual. Bummer. I saw it in the kids' flower bed and decided I needed one.


a yellow Columbine
I can see why it got the name crowfoot
drought resistant
attracts humming birds and bumblebees


yellow Iceland Poppy
a new plant this year
crepe paper petals



daisies buds are close to blooming
quite certain is it a Shasta Daisy
Leucanthemum x superbum

This plant was chosen for its color when it was planted last year. It is next to the delphinium, so I felt it was a nice contrast. The cone flower between the two did not survive the winter. I thought cone flowers were indestructible. I know the daisy is a hardy flowering plant.




Delphinium
Delphinium

I bought this plant last year because of its blue flowers. I was interested in a variety of colors and heights when I planted the perennials. The tall stalks of blue flowers do not disappoint. I will need to stake the stems though as they get top heavy. This stalk is using the pheasant to lean on. Now I understand why it is related to the Larkspur.


Mourning Bride
Scabiosa columbaria
Pincushion Flower
attracts butterflies

Again I chose this one for its color and that it attracted butterflies. When I placed it last year it was not next to another purple or blue flower, but things have changed since then...like the death of another cone flower!



As of this week, there is an addition to the rock wall of the perennial bed. Hubby and I went block shopping because the two inches of rain one night last week washed soil and wood chips. I needed an inexpensive solution. That was my Sunday afternoon project. 



We've not had a hard rain since, but I am certain the blocks will reduce the erosion. I have also planted some wild flowers on the other side of the blocks to help keep that soil in place and help keep out the grass and weeds. That may be a better project for next spring.

Right now there is far more green than colorful blooms. A friend said it takes 3 years for perennials to really produce. You plant the first year. The second year they take root. The third year they show off. I hope she is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!