Saturday, September 3, 2022

The Lows and Highs of August

 August was one of those months...some lows and some highs. 

Curt and his sister on our visit this summer.


Cory's birthday May 2021

The low of the month was the passing of Curt's sister, Cory on August 9th. She had a number of strokes about this time 5 years ago that took away her ability to speak. Her three kids had arranged a beautiful Celebration of Life Service where there was lots of talking, laughter and tears. A low and a high.



My mother fell on her 93rd birthday necessitating a trip to the hospital and the medical decision that she could no longer live alone in her home. (She was not hurt beyond some bruises.) My brothers found a wonderful assisted living center where she is now residing. She has been very adamant about wanting to stay in her home in the past. Our concern, as her children, was a safety issue and the issue of her vascular dementia (memory loss of names, people and appointments). 


She has accepted (we think) her unwanted situation. The center is the perfect size for someone who does not remember if they should turn right or left when leaving their room. She is using her walker which she did not use in her home. She is getting three meals a day. I spent four days visiting with her and helping to get her settled. The sunflowers are a visual reminder of changes; changes in the seasons and in our lives. Another August low and a high.


The grandkids spent last weekend with us while their parents got a trip to Minneapolis and the MN Twins baseball game. I asked the kiddos on Saturday morning what they would like to do that day. We had plans for Sunday. They got to choose the lunch and dinner menu. I had a back-up baking plan if needed.

Miss W and McBe shared how much they enjoyed the craft activity they did couple of years ago. They still display their wooden decorated initial in their bedrooms. Hmmm. Crafts. We can do crafts. I shared the following idea I had seen online.

It was a winner! We looked at Pinterest gnome ideas. We each had a sort-of plan before we left for a trip to Dollar Tree. They each chose items for decorations, the frame for the hat, styrofoam for the nose, etc. We had to visit Michaels Craft Store to find other items to complete our projects. Here are the final results.








We were busy all afternoon with painting, glueing and wrapping. I might make some changes to mine, but for now it works! Working with the g'kids and completing tasteful, successful projects was a high. 


Monday's project was baking. Niece Sherry gifted 2 zucchini to me. My SIL gifted a zucchini bread to me so I asked for her recipe. One zucchini done; one more to go when we get home next week.


Last year about this time Miss W and I made peach scones. We liked one of the recipes more than the other. I had peaches that needed to be used before we left home, so I made peach scones. YUM! Easier to make now that I have made scones more than once. The second lug of peaches arrived this weekend, so peach baking will be on the menu again. It is always a high to have home-made baked items on hand, especially when they taste good. (The peach muffins will not be on the project list again!) 

Now that I analyze the month of August...more highs than lows! Let's hope September will be the same.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!