Saturday, March 17, 2012

For Real...A Blooming Saguaro

After the faux pas of a couple of weeks ago when I mistakenly called a cardon cactus a saguaro I am excited to post a blooming, flowering saguaro!

Some folks from the hiking club reside in a neighboring RV park and shared photos of a blooming saguaro. I joined the LONG line of vehicles heading east about noon today to check it out. The LONG line of vehicles was due to the Renaissance Festival happening on weekends about 6 miles down the highway.

Please check out the earlier posts from this month A Blooming Saguaro and Back to St. George and Mystery Solved to make the comparisons of the Cardon cactus and the now posted Saguaro.

It definitely wasn't a day of beautiful blue skies! But the little white blob near the top told me I had found the right one.

The saguaro blooms are near the stem tips. Each funnel-shaped flower is about 5 inches long and 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches wide.





Three of the arms have buds that will bloom over the next several weeks.


I will try to get back later this week to see if there are more open buds. Still a rare sight for us snow birds because saguaros usually don't bloom until late April and May. Glad I got to see it!




1 comment:

Thanks for your comments!