Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Blooming Saguaro

In the seven years/seasons of coming to AZ we have not seen a saguaro bloom. That is because they usually bloom in May and we are back home by then. I overheard someone talking about a saguaro in bloom at St. George's Catholic Church in Apache Junction. So hubby and I stopped by the church yesterday on our way to another destination.

The saguaro was indeed blooming, maybe 9 or 10 visible flowers.


I thought saguaro blooms were at the top of the arms, so was surprised when I saw flowers on the sides of the arms.






I am not sure if all the brown 'stems' are the completed blooms or if they are yet to bloom.







I may go back with the other camera some day this week just to see any changes.

As we were driving yesterday I checked saguaros to see if any had the brown stems or flowers. They didn't so I know this is unusual. The hedgehog cactus have started to bloom in the wild. Before we leave the resort, some of the prickly pear cacti in the park will be in bloom. But this is the first flowering saguaro. Another first!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!