Friday, March 23, 2012

Another Pottery Piece

My second pottery piece is complete. Today it was a Raku firing process. Last week Friday a painted a vase and it looked like this when I was done.


The background color is pumpkin. The dark stripes are light copper. The white stripes are the tape lines, once the tape is removed.

I chose to do it in simple lines. Since I am never sure how the copper will look when it is done, I was pretty sure I would like the pumpkin color, no matter what.


I had done another Raku Pottery vase in 2009 with Musette. That post explained the process quite well, so I won't repeat the explanation, other than show some pictures from today.

This is Musette's set up for outdoor firing: The propane tank in the lower right to supply the gas to heat the kiln (behind the orange pail) with its cover on the middle right. The covered garage can has a piece 'curing'. My piece is on the kiln plate to be fired next.
 



 Musette just placed a piece from the kiln to the newspaper lined garbage can. The newspaper catches afire immediately.


 The lid is popped on for 8 minutes. My piece will take 20 minutes she said. Then the pieces are plunged into the orange pail filled with water.


The light copper turned green on this side of the vase.


There is some red in the light copper on this side. Interesting how that happens. The white tape lines are now black. The pumpkin is just what I expected. I am pleased.


On the left is the sagar piece I completed earlier this month 
and on the right the Raku piece from today.
My creativity projects for 2012!



There were some other projects going on the the ceramics/pottery room today.

 These pieces were done by a husband & wife; she did the bowl, he did the vase, using mostly light copper.


 This is Connie B's hand-shaped bowl. She and Lana are attaching reeds to the rim


 by sewing/lacing the reeds using the holes on the rim.


 These are some other Raku pieces, some in light copper. The one on the right has stripes of pumpkin with some blotches of light copper, too. Interesting. The one on the left was done in a different metallic color.


These are horsehair pieces, a Kokopelli on the left & a horse head on the right.


 A couple of horsehair buffalo and some vases


 One of the gals added little colored rocks at the base of the burned feathers to give her vases some bling and uniqueness.


I noticed this mosaic garden stone on the shelf as I was leaving the room. I would love to do this next year!










1 comment:

  1. Great looking pottery. Iam inspired. May have to cut out my hiking next year.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!