Friday, April 8, 2011

Petrified Forest National Park

I did not know that almost every state has some petrified wood. I remember seeing the petrified wood display of buildings in Lemmon SD in 1959 on a family vacation. Ever since, petrified wood has held an intrigue for me. So I was most happy to see the Petrified Forest National Park in northeast AZ yesterday.




This description/display helps explain the petrified log in the above photos. Double click to make the photo large and possibly readable.


The dark 'rocks' on the ground are what is left of this petrified forest of pine trees. Many were taken by early sight seers prior to the area being protected as a national park. There were three such areas along the 20 miles of road through the park.




I was able to use my great wide angle lens for a couple of these photos. But on the others, we were able to stop along the highway and take the photos by walking up to the petrified pieces. It was an awesome side trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!