Saturday, May 26, 2012

My Poor Neglected Flower Bed

My daughter-in-law's mother gave me a star flower for my birthday. I had admired it at her home earlier this month. I had to get it/them planted in the perennial flower bed before we left for our R & R.



The flower bed has been sadly neglected since we got home. Projects inside the house took precedence. I have taken the time to admire the flowers as they show off their colors, but have done nothing to maintain the bed.

I like the look of a little more ground space than what is showing now.

I am almost embarrassed by all the weeds & needed thinning & pruning.

The poppy petals are peeking through.

I will probably miss their blooming this year.
 I really like the extra pop of color the poppies give to
the flower bed.

The "University of Minnesota" columbine has lots of flowers this spring.
I had planned to move it to the back of the flower bed, 
but didn't happen this spring.

This is the purple columbine. It doesn't have as many flowers.
This is my "Watertown Arrows" columbine.

Yes, the bed colors are mostly purple & white right now.
I still don't know the name of this one.
(Liz, can you help me out?)
It needs deadheading and will bloom all summer.

The pink is blooming. I rarely get a good picture of it.

The Stella De Oro Lillies are full of blossoms. They will
add a bright gold color. I thinned the plants last year.
They seem to have loved it as they are big and lush again.

Fall leaves are still around.

The daisy got thinned and pruned last summer.
It survived & is thriving.

The anemone is out of hand. It has almost taken
over the flower bed. It will get some serious trowel
attention in June. It also needs serious deadheading.

I am not a very good plant housekeeper, right now.
It will look better next month. I promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!