Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Guest Room Facelift

It is DONE! One month, to the day, the guest room is completed. For before pictures, go to Continuing Facelift posted last month. You will notice some of the decor was just switched from one room to the other. Either a) I liked it so much I wanted to keep it, b)  I have too much and don't know what to do with it, or c)  I was tired of shopping and this will do.

As in many older home remodels, I am guessing, many things do not go as planned. The floors, now that they have been refinished are beautiful, are not necessarily level. That isn't something one might notice unless rolling marbles. We discovered it when we used the floor as a basis for measurement and found things slightly crooked when we were done. The door frame openings have also moved over the years??? We noticed a quarter inch difference in width measurement from top to bottom. So most little projects took longer because of these little oddities. But we are pleased with the looks of our final project.


 The refinished original hardwood floor


Looking into the guest room from the hallway


 This quilt was on the bed in the master bedroom for many years


It fit into the category of a) I liked it so much I wanted to keep it
My mother embroidered it by hand and then hand stitched the quilting.
It went from a cranberry colored room to a pink, almost mauve, bedroom.


 The furniture has a story, too.
This 5 piece set was a wedding gift to my parents 
in 1949 from my mother's parents.


When I got my own room it was my bedroom set the years I lived at home.
Rather than have it placed with the auction items when
folks moved to their current home in 1999, I asked if 
I could have the set.


I refinished the woodwork and had a friend add the side posts
to the headboard to fit a queen bed set.


The new closet doors were hung this morning.


This is a room filled with items I'm not ready to part with, yet.
Family Keepsakes, for now


Now we can go on vacation! We deserve a little R&R 
after a very hectic first month at home.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!