Tuesday, November 6, 2012

So What Do You Do All Day?

I know some of you wonder what on earth I do to fill my time in a resort full of retired people, especially those of you still working, juggling families, meals, chores, and a home larger than 400 sq. ft. Thankfully, not all days are like this past Monday. Here was my Monday...

Should have awakened about 7:30, but did not climb out until 8:10; had to shower before coffee meeting; got there just before 9:00 to find very few donuts left. (Didn't get my maple frosted favorite.) Meeting from 9 to 9:35ish then a hiking club meeting. I am secretary/treasurer for the hiking club. I try to keep the guys on track during the informal discussion, exchanging of war stories, and general bragging and ribbing. At the end of the regular meeting today, after 10:30, I met with a group of 6 new hikers and shared more specific to them information. After that 10 minute meeting, I did my paperwork for the hikes for the week. Information is put on paper on clipboards stating the hike, distance, elevation, rating, time for leaving and other pertinent info. I completed that for two hikes and got the boards on the wall of activities open to all resort residents. Then I stopped in the office to get some more forms copied. I tried to schedule a meeting with the activity director to begin discussing the cancer week activities. Got back to the desert casa about 11:15ish. Started making phone calls, ordering online, screwed up the order, had to call and fix my mistakes. Still no meeting time.

So I began to organize the information I picked up at the Health and Wellness Fair on Saturday. The cancer week co-chair and I stopped at the Apache Junction fair in hopes of getting the names of health related businesses and services that may be of interest and assistance to the resort's residents. First I had to match the business cards with the correct propaganda and stapled it together (it had all been tossed into a large, free Walgreens shopping bag) then I organized the info by categories: hospitals & clinics, chiropractors, dental, holistic programs & services, cooking & dietary, donation opportunities, etc. I wrote the categories on paper with the service/business name & contact person. Then I made notes about services that were not represented. I searched for my notes and information from our last cancer week benefit. I made a couple of phone calls to people I had talked to on Saturday to ask a couple of questions. A couple of hours later, still no meeting for later in the afternoon so I cleared the table of cancer week papers and moved onto...

the hiking club. I entered the names of the hikers into an excel document to keep track of the days and distances they hike. (It is important because we have contests and awards the end of the season. I take charge of that, too.) I organized the registration forms in alphabetical order. (Every hiker signs a form the beginning of each season; there are about 30 of us so far.) I created and sent an email to the hiking yahoo group giving the hiking information for the week for those who do not attend the Monday morning meeting. I cleaned out the 3 inch 3 ring binder of last year's registration forms and paperwork on each hike (at least 2 per week). I looked at the treasure report and tried to find how and why we have $200 to $300 more than I can actually reasonably account for. (Did not come up with a reason. Wish my personal account grew like that!)

It was now 4:30. Time to check on hubby who had been wandering in the desert; he was a block from home. I listened to his adventures. It was now time for an adult beverage and a decision about what to fix for our meal that day. The grill was heated. The salad was created. At the table enjoying a simple meal at 6:00. Hubby did dishes. (I cook. He washes dishes.) TV turned to DWTS at 7:00 pm. 

Downloaded photos onto the computer. Worked on the blog. Checked emails and Facebook. Tomorrow is another day...

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments!